Frankfort Native and Rising Star Joins Frost Brown Todd’s Regional State Tax and Incentives Team
Jennifer Barber, a Frankfort, Kentucky native, has joined Frost Brown Todd’s newly-created Regional State Tax and Incentives Team as a Managing Associate. Since the beginning of her career, Barber has worked closely with veteran tax attorney Mark Sommer, who recently joined the firm as well. Through its Regional State Tax and Incentives Team, Frost Brown Todd provides companies with a one-stop-shop for their tax needs and incentives wants when they’re considering relocating or expanding their businesses. Prior to joining the firm, Barber was a Senior Associate at a major law firm in Louisville, Kentucky.
Born and raised in Kentucky’s capital, Barber is considered an insider in state politics and governmental affairs. In only her fifth year of practice, Barber is a standout among the tax community in Kentucky – known for her legal and business acumen, work ethic and litigation skills. Evidencing her talents, Former Chief Justice Joseph E. Lambert had this to say of her: “When Jennifer clerked in my office during law school, it immediately became apparent that she was extremely bright and determined to produce high-quality work. After her admission to the bar, Jennifer continued achieving well beyond her years of practice. I am confident that she will be one of Kentucky’s leading lawyers for many years to come.”
Jennifer graduated from the University of Kentucky with her Juris Doctor in 2008, where she also earned her Bachelor of Science in Communications in 2005. While at the University of Kentucky, she served as a UK Ambassador and a four-year member of the University’s Strategic Planning Committee.
About Jennifer Y. Barber
- At age 27, Barber was a recipient of Business First of Louisville’s Forty Under 40 Award.
- Barber was selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Pre-eminent Women Lawyers; she also holds an AV-Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, an extraordinary accomplishment usually given to more seasoned attorneys.
- Prior to joining Frost Brown Todd, Barber was involved in the representation of the Kentucky Chamber of Commerce and U.S. Chamber of Commerce regarding numerous significant constitutional tax issues.
- Barber represented one of Louisville Metro’s largest private-sector employers in a property tax case concerning the valuation of its local manufacturing plant, one of the largest in North America.
- Barber has worked on seven briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court, an opportunity which most practitioners never encounter once in their career.
- Barber serves on the Board of Directors of organizations such as the Louisville Bar Association and Kentucky Bar Foundation, and chairs the Kentucky Bar Association Tax Section.
- Fun Fact: Barber is fluent in Chinese and was raised in her family’s Chinese restaurant business, which they have owned and operated for over 30 years.