Philip K. Hartmann
Phil serves his clients in the areas of land use and zoning, eminent domain, real estate acquisition, annexation, home rule charter drafting, economic development and administrative appeals. He counsels a wide-variety of clients from Cities and Villages, traditional and charter school districts, to private sector clients. Phil also serves as Law Director for the City of Pickerington counseling the City on day to day matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Phil was the co-chair of the Public Law Practice Group at a large law firm in Columbus.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Nonprofit Excellence Award, Ohio House of Representatives, 2012
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® 2005, 2006
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, Vice President 2013
- International Municipal Lawyer Association
- American Bar Association
- American Planning Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Municipal League
- Ohio Planning Association
- Ohio City Manager Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- State Board of Education Approves the Transfer of a Home from Columbus City Schools to Westerville City Schools
- Supreme Board of Sign Review: Supreme Court Declares Provisions of Town’s Sign Code Unconstitutional
- Charity Bins are a form of Communication, according to the Sixth Circuit
- The City of Cleveland Fumbles in Applying Municipal Taxes to NFL Players
- House Bill 47: Another Step towards Eliminating Open Container Restrictions within Designated Areas
- Ohio Supreme Court Upholds City Curfews in Public Parks
- New Ohio Senate Bill seeks to severely limit the use of traffic cameras
- Proposed Ohio Legislation Expands the Power to Issue Investigative Subpoenas to City Law Departments
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Cancer Support Community, Board of Trustees
- Pickerington Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Parkview at Goodale Park Condominiums, President Board of Trustees
- Parkview at Goodale Park Condominiums, Former Board of Trustees
- Columbus Bar Association Mentoring Program, Former Mentor
- Firstlink, Inc., Former Board of Trustees
- Ronald McDonald House Charities, Former Young Professional Board
- The Wellness Community of Greater Columbus, Former Board of Trustees
- Bexley Architectural Review Board, Former Member
- Bexley Board of Zoning Appeals, Former Member
Non-FBT Publications and Events
“Liability of Municipalities and Municipal Officials,” Ohio Municipal League, Newly Elected Council Seminar, March 2014.
Moderator for the Ohio Municipal Attorney Association Winter Law Seminar, Dublin, Ohio, December 13, 2013.
"Case Law Update" Ohio Municipal Attorney Association Winter Law Seminar, Dublin, Ohio, December 13, 2013.
"Public Private Partnerships" International Municipal Lawyers Association – IMLA Annual Conference, San francisco, california, September 30, 2013.
"Social Networking: Challenges for Municipalities," Ohio Municipal League – OML Annual Conference, Columbus, Ohio, September 26, 2013.
"Social Media Issues for City Officials," The Mayor's Association of Ohio Annual Conference, Canton Ohio, June 5, 2013.
"Eminent Domain: Strategies and Tactics in Right-of-way Acquisition and Eminent Domain Litigation," Presenter, International Right of Way Association, Plain City, Ohio, October 26, 2012.
"Open Meetings and Public Records Law," OML Newly Elected Council Members Seminar, March 2012.
"Eminent Domain: Processes and Pitfalls," Co-Presenter, Ohio State Bar Association, Columbus, Ohio, March 9, 2011.
"Adoption and Amendment of Zoning Ordinance and Map," National Business Institute, Practical Guide to Zoning and Land Use Law, Cincinnati, Ohio, October 7, 2014
"Drafting Resolutions and Ordinances," Auditor of the State of Ohio, 16th Annual Local Government Officials' Conference, April 1, 2015