Douglas R. Dennis
Doug is a member in the litigation department of Frost Brown Todd LLC, focused on products liability, ERISA litigation and appellate advocacy.
Doug has extensive experience in products liability cases in a wide variety of areas, including hand tools, elevator parts, filter parts for EPA compliance, and pharmaceuticals.
Doug has handled over 30 ERISA and other benefits litigation actions for fortune 500 companies.
Doug has briefed and argued many appeals in the Ohio appellate courts and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth and Ninth Circuits. Doug co-authored West's Ohio Appellate Practice Handbook with Judge Mark P. Painter for five years and has chaired the Ohio State Bar Association Appellate Committee and Cincinnati Bar Association Appellate Committee.
Won Ninth Circuit appeal of a multi-million dollar products liability case (2010). Click here for additional information.
Summary judgment defending a multi-million dollar products liability lawsuit in the Southern District of California (2009)
Multiple summary judgment awards for multiple Fortune 500 companies defending ERISA lawsuits (2009)
Highly favorable settlements defending ERISA lawsuits (2008)
Successfully prevented an injunction in ERISA case in Northern District Court of Ohio for Fortune 500 company (2008)
Won reversal on appeal of a contract case involving nearly half-million dollars of real estate (2007)
Summary judgment defending general contract case and won damages on counterclaim against plaintiff in Northern District Court of Kentucky for a Fortune 500 company
Won $2 million jury trial verdict prosecuting a real estate/tax case in the Southern District of Ohio for a Fortune 500 company (2005)
After graduating from West Point, Doug served in Armor and Air Cavalry units in Europe and the United States for five years, before attending law school.
After law school, Doug clerked for Judge Mark P. Painter on the Ohio First District Court of Appeals (1995-1997) and worked on the most published opinions for the court (30), over that time period.
Doug has been a baseball writer since 1998 and has contributed to USA Today, Baseball Weekly, ESPN, appeared on Fox Sports and has worked as a consultant for the St. Louis Cardinals.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Received Distinguished Service Award from University of Cincinnati Law Review, 2012
Memberships & Affiliations
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Past Member-Nominating Committee; Professionalism Committee; Appellate Practice Committee Past Chair
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers, Steering Committee; Co-Chair Program Five
- Ohio State Bar Association, Appellate Practice Committee, Past Chair; Board of Governors, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Defense Research Institute
- The Hardt decision and fee shifting in ERISA cases
- Consumer Product Safety Commission Database Will Likely Provide a New Weapon for Plaintiffs’ Attorneys in Product Liability Cases
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Cradles and Bassinets
- Trends in ERISA Litigation: Understand and Manage Your Risks Regarding 401(k) and Other Benefit Plans
- U.S. Supreme Court Holds That 401(K) Participants Can Sue Plan Fiduciaries Under ERISA
- Beware of Quirks in Appellate Local Rules
- Mass Screenings: A Lesson from Asbestos Litigation
- Drug & Medical Device Newsletter
- Effective Appellate Argument Construction
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Ohio Appellate Practice Handbook, (West) 2008 Ed. (with Judge Mark P. Painter) (author of 5 editions 2004-2008)