John S. Egan
John represents the firm's clients on a variety of municipal bond and project finance issues, serving as bond counsel, underwriter's counsel or company counsel. He frequently counsels lenders and borrowers in financial transactions and creditors in bankruptcies, complex foreclosures and receiverships. He also serves as corporate counsel to a number of clients and advises companies on investment incentives available for new and expanded industry including tax benefits through taxable bond structures.
He is a frequent speaker and author of articles on public finance, project finance, financial transactions and bankruptcy. He is past Chairman of the Louisville Bar Association's Business Law Section and of the LBA's Bankruptcy Section.
- Led legal team in acquisition of community hospital in a Chapter 9 bankruptcy proceeding by a larger non-profit Kentucky healthcare system.
- Represented the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet in negotiating the Bi-State Development Agreement between Kentucky and Indiana for the Louisville Ohio River Bridges project.
- Acted as bond counsel for a $330 million tax exempt bond issue in which insured auction-rate bonds were redeemed and replaced by new fixed-rate tax-exempt debt.
- Acted as bond counsel for a $125 million tax exempt bond issue for the benefit of a regional non-profit hospital system.
- Acted as bond counsel on many direct-purchase bonds for the benefit of non-profit corporations throughout the region.
John is a former leader of Frost Brown Todd's Lending and Commercial Services group.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Government Finance, 2012-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights Law/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Public Finance Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2007-2017; Louisville Litigation - Bankruptcy "Lawyer of the Year," 2013 & 2017; Louisville Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2016
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A, 2015 & 2016
Memberships & Affiliations
- Kentucky Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Subcommittee advising Joint Local Rules Commission of the Eastern and Western Districts of the United States District Court on bankruptcy related issues
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Louisville Bar Association, Chairman Business Law Section, 2006
- SEC Proposes Amendments to Rule 15c2-12 to Add Required Disclosure of New Event Notices
- Update on Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana Bond Cap Allocations
- The SEC’s action against municipal underwriting firms
- Midwestern Disaster Area Bonds - A Low Cost Financing Opportunity
- $10,000,000+ Kentucky Lender Liability Case Reversed
- Financial Restructuring Client Advisory
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Chambers USA®
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 18 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 65 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Chambers USA®
- 50 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 52 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 21 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2014
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
- 17 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named 2013 “Lawyers of the Year”
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2012
- 40 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Contribute to Book on Limited Liability Companies
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
Non-FBT Publications and Events
“Case Study: Cardinal Towne, a mixed-use retail/residential housing project,” Presentation to 2015 CDFA Kentucky Financing Roundtable (October 2015)
“Investment Incentives in Kentucky,” Presentation to Kentucky CCIM Chapter (October 2015).
"How to Handle a Client in Bankruptcy,"
Presentation to the Kentucky Society of CPAs (April 21, 2010)
"Practicing Under the New Bankruptcy Code-Changes to Chapter 11 Practice"
University of Kentucky CLE (September 2005)
"The Creditor’s Right of Reclamation and of Setoff and Recoupment"
University of Kentucky CLE (December 2002)
"Check Fraud: What is it? How does it happen? Who is liable?"
Joint presentation to bankers and clients, University Club, University of Louisville (December 6, 2001)
"How to Acquire and/or Assist Financially Troubled Nursing Homes"
Presentation to Kentucky Association of Not-for-Profit Homes and Services for the Aging, Inc. (June 1998)
"Financing the Transaction"
Cambridge Institute Seminar on Buying and Selling Privately Held Companies in Kentucky, Louisville, Kentucky (October 1996)
Moderator: "The Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1994 and Other Current Developments"
Day-long CLE presentation, Louisville, Kentucky (February 1995)
Co-Author: "Ten Ways Revised Article 9 Will Change Your (Lending) Life,"
Kentucky Bankers Magazine (July 2000)
Co-Author: "The Sale of the Century or a Fraud on Creditors?: The Fiduciary Duty of Trustees and Debtors in Possession Relating to the Sale of a Debtor's Assets in Bankruptcy,"
The University of Memphis Law Review (July 1998)