Kevin T. Shook
Kevin is a business litigator who counsels clients on a broad range of legal disputes including fraud and contract cases, real estate litigation, creditor’s rights, media law, constitutional law and government regulation. He has been consistently named a “Rising Star” in Ohio Super Lawyers magazine and has received the AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®. Kevin has experience litigating high profile cases in state court, federal court and before administrative bodies.
Kevin recently represented CNN, the Associated Press, ABC, CBS and the New York Times in a successful bid to obtain access to court proceedings involving a high profile alleged sexual assault in Steubenville, Ohio. He also represented CNN in a successful effort to obtain public records and court access in the high school mass murder case in Chardon, Ohio. During the last election cycle, Kevin defended fifteen military organizations representing almost one million members of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines in an elections matter filed by the Obama for President Campaign.
As the former Chair of the Ohio State Bar Association Media Law Committee, Kevin is widely recognized as one of the top media and constitutional lawyers in Ohio. Kevin counsels media clients in all aspects of newsroom-related matters, including defense of defamation and privacy claims and public records matters. He has obtained numerous summary judgment awards in favor of media clients.
In the wake of the economic downturn, Kevin has also become one of Ohio’s most trusted legal advisors on issues related to defaulted commercial loans, creditor rights and troubled real estate investments. Kevin has advised both bank clients and developers through some of the largest state court receivership matters in Ohio.
Kevin serves on the Board of Directors for the American Red Cross of Greater Columbus and he is the Pro Bono Coordinator for the Frost Brown Todd Columbus Office. He is married to his wife, Megan, and has two daughters, Cassandra and Tessa.
Real Estate/Creditor’s Rights Litigation:
Obtained dismissal of state RICO claims alleging a property flipping scheme.
Obtained summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, for a financial institution in an action involving alleged federal securities violations.
Obtained summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, for a leading provider of waste services regarding a permit to install a landfill.
Obtained summary judgment dismissing claims against a healthcare corporation related to the sale of an MRI imaging business.
Obtained numerous court orders approving the sale and liquidation of commercial real estate in state court receivership matters.
Successful prosecution and settlement of fraudulent conveyance claims filed on behalf of landlord and owner of a large commercial property.
Obtained summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, for two television stations and their news anchors in a state court defamation case.
Obtained summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, for a television station in a state court defamation case.
Obtained dismissal of claims against a television station in state court related to a news report that mistakenly identified the plaintiff.
Successful resolution and defense of a national pet supply company against defamation claims brought by a former employee.
Successful challenge of an Ohio Secretary of State directive that would have prevented news media access to polling places.
First Amendment/Prior Restraint/Access:
Successful representation of national cable news organization seeking access to juvenile court proceedings and records in a high profile murder case in Chardon, Ohio.
Successful representation of several national and local news organizations in obtaining access to court proceedings involving an alleged sexual assault in Steubenville, Ohio.
Successful representation of television station challenging an attempted gag order and an effort to prevent cameras in the courtroom.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Columbus Business First Top Corporate Counsel Awards, Judge
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® 2007, 2009-2012
- Featured in Columbus Business First "Spotlight" Article, Fall 2011
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio State Bar Association, Media Law Committee, Chairman
- Columbus Bar Association, Common Pleas Committee, Member; Pro Bono Committee, Member
- Media Law Resource Center, Employment Libel Committee, Member
- Advertising Federation of Columbus, Member
- Ohio Association of Broadcasters, Member
- Ohio Newspaper Association, Associate Member
Recent Blog Posts
- Social Media Pitfalls for Financial Services: The Latest Legal Guidance Every Bank Should Follow
- The Social Media Landmines for Financial Services: 10 Legal Issues Every Bank Should Consider
- Ohio Supreme Court Allows for Recovery of Attorneys Fees Upon Mortgage Reinstatement
- AmTrust sells five Columbus branches to WesBanco
- Ohio Amends Law Exempting Property From Attachment
- FHA Lifts Limits on Insurance for Foreclosed Homes
- SEC Proposes To Expand Privacy Regulations
- The Social Media Pitfalls for Your Business: 10 Legal Issues Every Employer Should Consider
- The Hot News on the Hot News Doctrine
- Anti-SPAM Plaintiffs Find Little Success in the Courthouse, But They Can Cause Mountains of Attorneys’ Fees
- A CAN-SPAM Refresher
- Froot Loops and Cap’n Crunch False Advertising Claims Rejected
- SEC Proposes To Expand Privacy Regulations
- Ohio Supreme Court Narrowly Revives Defamation Lawsuit Filed By Chief of Police
- House Bill 9 Amends Ohio Public Records Law
- Media Law Advisory
- Media Law Advisory
- 44 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 15 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2012
- Frost Brown Todd Receives 2011 Pillar Award for Community Service
- Eight New Members Named to Frost Brown Todd
- 41 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2011
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Ohio Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Vice President, Board of Directors
- American Red Cross of Greater Columbus, Board of Directors
- Ohio Supreme Court Justice Evelyn Stratton's Reelection Campaign, Host Committee
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Pediatric-cancer doctor's child porn case sealed by judge" The Columbus Dispatch
November 4, 2013
"Free* Seminar: How to Stay on the Right Side of the Law When Advertising Your Automobile Dealership"
Dayton AdClub, November 20, 2008
Columbus Business First, February 27, 2009
WSYX TV-6/WTTE FOX 28, April 14, 2009
Ohio State Bar Association Annual Conference CLE Seminar: “Talkin’ ‘Bout My(Space) Generation.” May, 2008. Taught a three hour seminar regarding the law related to social networking websites.
Ohio State Bar Association Media Law Conference: “Talkin’ ‘Bout My(Space) Generation.” October, 2008. Taught a three hour seminar regarding the law related to social networking websites.
Public Records Presentation
WSYX Channel 6, August 1, 2007
Columbus Business First, February 22, 2008
When an Asterisk Just Won’t Save You:Making Advertising Claims Without Fear: Columbus AdFed Seminar, April 2, 2008.
Quoted in Social Medial and the Law by Lisa Hooker
Columbus C.E.O. June 2010
Push Pull Drag It In: Advertising Your Automobile Dealership Without Fear
FBT @sk the Legal Pro (2009)
Ohio Amends Law Exempting Property From Attachment
FBT Banking Blog (September 3, 2008)
Ohio Supreme Court Allows for Recovery of Attorneys Fees Upon Mortgage Reinstatement
FBT Banking Blog (April 27, 2009)
Amtrust Sells Columbus Branches to WesBanco
FBT Banking Blog (January 26, 2009)
SEC Proposes to Expand Privacy Regulations
Defense Research Institute, Young Lawyer Committee Newsletter, The Whisper, May 6, 2008 (also published as FBT Client Advisory, April 1, 2008).
Fifth Circuit upholds suspension of student who wrote violent story: Appellate court's extends permissible censorship of student speech based on its broad interpretation of the 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' case
Quill & Scroll Magazine, February 2008.
Ohio Supreme Court Narrowly Revives Defamation Lawsuit Filed By Chief of Police
Ohio Newspaper Association Bulletin; Frost Brown Todd Client Advisory March 31, 2008.
FHA Lifts Limits on Insurance For Foreclosed Homes
Frost Brown Todd Client Advisory, June 19, 2008.
House Bill 9 Amends Ohio Public Records Law
Frost Brown Todd Client Advisory, September 18, 2007 (also published as a Frost Brown Todd Media Law Advisory on August 31, 2007.
Porn on Public School Teacher’s Computer is Public Record
Frost Brown Todd Media Law Advisory, May 31, 2007.
Author: MLRC 50 State Survey: Media Libel Law, 2007-08: Ohio Sections, published annually by the Media Law Resource Center
Author: MLRC 50 State Survey: Employment Libel and Privacy Law, 2007-08: Federal Sections, published annually by the Media Law Resource Center
Author: MLRC 50 State Survey: Employment Libel and Privacy Law, 2006-07: Federal Sections, published annually by the Media Law Resource Center
Staff Writer: Frost Brown Todd Media Law Advisory, published monthly by Frost Brown Todd, LLC
Author: State Sponsors of Terrorism: The Flatow Mistake
Ohio State Law Journal, 61 Ohio St. L.J. 1301 (2000)