Andrew B. Ulmer
Andrew is a member in the Cincinnati office of Frost Brown Todd LLC and practices in the intellectual property area. He leads the firm’s medical device patent practice, serving clients ranging from small startups to large companies, universities, and foreign law firms. He provides advice and counsel to engineers, managers, in-house counsel, and executives, developing and executing strategies to protect investments in research and development.
Andrew’s work focuses on preparing and prosecuting patent applications with a concentration on medical devices, particularly minimally invasive surgical instruments and biopsy devices. He has worked in various technologies including mechanical, electrical, telecommunications, materials, and software. His patent prosecution experience includes extensive international prosecution with an emphasis on the jurisdictions of Australia, Canada, China, Europe, Japan, and Korea.
In addition to patent preparation and prosecution, Andrew provides counseling including patent validity opinions, infringement opinions, and right-to-use evaluations, with advice on risk exposure and design-around opportunities. He also provides due diligence review and counseling, including evaluation of strengths and weaknesses in third party patent estates to assist in determining monetary value.
His experience also includes portfolio management counseling, including advising clients on how to best invest in their patent estate, where to trim their estate, and how to leverage their patent assets in the marketplace. He also assists clients in drafting and negotiating intellectual property related contracts, including patent licenses, joint development agreements, and settlements.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Chambers USA, Intellectual Property, 2015-2016; Up and Coming
- LMG Life Sciences, “Life Science Star” in Intellectual Property, 2013-2015
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member Intellectual Property Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- 29 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2017
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 65 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Chambers USA®
- Frost Brown Todd Receives 2011 Pillar Award for Community Service
- Eight New Members Named to Frost Brown Todd
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Co-author, “What You Need to Know About the America Invents Act,” Update: Food and Drug Law, Regulation and Education, The Food and Drug Law Institute, July/August 2012.
Editor-in-chief, Media, Advertising, & Entertainment Law Throughout the World, Thomson West 2008-2015