Geoffrey M. White
Geoff is the Real Estate Service Team Leader at Frost Brown Todd, where he represents lenders, loan servicers, borrowers, owners, investors, developers and managers in the financing, workout, servicing, purchase, sale, development and management of commercial real estate and healthcare properties.
Geoff has represented life insurance companies, CMBS loan originators, national banks and FHA-insured (HUD) lenders in closing billions of dollars in loans in forty-one states. He has also represented publicly traded REITs, national and local developers in closing CMBS, mezzanine, life insurance company, national bank, FHA-insured (HUD), and Freddie Mac loans totaling more than one billion dollars in over a dozen states. These loans have been for the new construction, purchase or refinancing of retail centers, medical offices, hotels, multifamily housing, industrial properties, senior housing, nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Geoff has also represented special servicers, life insurance companies and FHA-insured lenders in connection with a multitude of servicing related matters for both distressed and performing assets.
Geoff is a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers. He is listed in the Best Lawyers in America® 2014, Kentucky Super Lawyers® 2013-2014 and is AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®. He is also listed in Chambers USA® America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011-2014, where he was noted for his particular expertise in real estate finance with sources stating, "He sees the bigger picture" . . . and always comes up with alternative solutions, and that "he bends over backwards to help the client."
Geoff graduated cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School in 2003 and magna cum laude from Mary Washington College in 2000 where he double majored in history and political science.
Some of Geoff's relevant work includes:
Represented a publicly traded hotel REIT client in closing approximately $200 million in loans from a variety of lenders on properties located in Atlanta, Georgia, Houston, Texas, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Miami, Florida, Jacksonville, Florida, Raleigh, North Carolina and Jeffersonville, Indiana.
Led a team of five attorneys closing seventeen FHA-insured loans totaling approximately $100 million for a nursing home REIT client in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky utilizing Section 232 LEAN processing.
Led a team of fifteen attorneys in closing on the refinancing of debt on Westport Village, a retail center in Louisville, Kentucky, with a CMBS and mezzanine loan that collectively totaled $25.3 million two weeks after securing the engagement and within the client's strict budget.
Represented life insurance company lender closing a two-tiered $150 million portfolio of cross-collateralized loans secured by seven properties located in six different states, including one single tenant property that achieved LEED Gold certification for commercial interiors.
Represented CMBS special servicer client in closing (a) a deed in lieu of foreclosure of a full service hotel property in Louisville, Kentucky that included a de-flagging and re-flagging of the hotel at the closing and (b) the subsequent sale of the hotel that included the de-flagging, closing and re-flagging of the hotel.
Assisted life insurance company lender in multi-tiered loan modification for a retail property with mortgage and mezzanine loans totaling $25.7 million following bankruptcy of two national tenants in order to introduce two replacement national tenants to anchor the project.
Represented CMBS lender closing a $69.5 million loan secured by a full service hotel featuring historic tax credits.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Kentucky Super Lawyers® 2013-2014
- Best Lawyers in America® 2014-2014
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Chambers USA® America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011-2014
- Frost Brown Todd Mentor of the Year, 2010, 2012
- Leadership Louisville Center, 2010 "Connector"
- Louisville Business First 2009 Forty Under 40 Award Winner
- LEED Green Associate™ accreditation received, 2009
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Member
- Greater Louisville Inc. (GLI), the Metro Chamber of Commerce, Member
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Member
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member
- Louisville Bar Association, Member, Real Estate Section Chair, 2014
- Mortgage Bankers Association, Originations Council and Servicers Council, Member
Recent Blog Posts
- Stimulus Act - Impact on Residential Real Estate
- Stimulus Act - Impact on Commercial Real Estate
- Stimulus Act - Impact on Affordable Housing
- Stimulus Act - Impact on Green Building
- Green Building Series: A Greener Kentucky
- Green Building Series: Wells Fargo’s Green Financing
- Green Building Series: Green Building Litigation: Southern Builders v. Shaw Development
- Green Building Series: Green Schools
- Green Building Series: A Quick Primer on Green Building and the LEED, Green Globes and ENERGY STAR Frameworks
- 63 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Chambers USA®
- 52 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 21 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2014
- 67 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
- 68 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
- 57 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2011 Chambers USA®
- Frost Brown Todd Receives 2011 Pillar Award for Community Service
- Eight New Members Named to Frost Brown Todd
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- American Red Cross - Louisville Chapter, founding members of the Crossing Generations Society
- Farmington Historic House, Board of Regents, 2008-2009
- Focus Louisville, Class of 2008 (Leadership Louisville Center)
- Greater Louisville Inc. (GLI), Board of Directors, 2010-2011
- Ignite Louisville, Class of 2010 (Leadership Louisville Center)
- Leadership Louisville Center, Board of Directors, 2010-2011
- Louisville Energy Alliance (LEA), Board of Directors, 2011-2014
- University of Michigan Alumni Association, Louisville Chapter, Board of Directors, 2007-2011
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville (YPAL), Board of Directors, 2008-2012
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Geoff frequently presents on legal issues impacting the real estate industry at local, regional and national seminars. He has made continuing education presentations for lawyers, real estate professionals, engineers, architects and accountants for the following organizations: the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), Kentucky Chapter of CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member), Louisville Bar Association (LBA), the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), Health Enterprises Network, the American Institute of Architects (AIA), the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI), the American Concrete Institute (ACI), Lorman Education Services and the National Business Institute. He has recently discussed real estate finance, sustainability issues for retail properties, lender liability, green leasing and ethics in real estate transactions. He also regularly writes articles on a variety of commercial real estate issues in business journals and legal periodicals.