Thomas V. Williams
Tom is a member of Frost Brown Todd LLC in Columbus, Ohio, where he practices in the labor and employment department. Tom represents employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, including collective bargaining, arbitrations and litigation of disputes involving collective bargaining agreements in proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board. He also has extensive experience as lead trial counsel in employment and labor litigation, and regularly counsels employers on a wide variety of labor and employment matters to avoid employment liability. Tom is a periodic speaker to groups and organizations concerning labor and employment law issues and positive employee relations and personnel management. He has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America for many years. Tom served as the Member-in-Charge of the Columbus office for more than 10 years.
Served as lead negotiator and spokesperson for Fortune 1000 corporations in collective bargaining negotiations for several industries and facilities involving international representatives of USW, UAW, IBEW, and IAM. Negotiations resulted in relocation of work, reduction in pay and fringe benefit modifications. Tom has also negotiated the restructuring of union contracts during bankruptcy proceedings.
Represented employers in various labor arbitration cases involving a wide variety of issues including discipline, discharge, promotion, subcontracting, work relocation, overtime requirements, incentive pay programs and contract interpretation issues. Obtained favorable decisions on numerous dispositive motions in employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, and retaliation cases. Tom has successfully defended employers in employment discrimination and wrongful discharge cases in both state and federal courts.
Represented employers in unfair labor practice and representational proceedings, including trials and appeals before the National Labor Relations Board. Tom has successfully represented numerous employers in work stoppage situations involving strikes and lock-outs, and has obtained injunctive relief and enforcement of injunctive relief on behalf of employers due to unlawful or violent strike activity.
Tom routinely provides advice to employers in the areas of administration of collective bargaining agreements, union avoidance, employment discrimination, sexual harassment, wage and hour, affirmative action compliance issues, FMLA compliance issues, and other compliance issues in connection with labor and employment statutes and regulations.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2005-2017
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers® 2009-2016
Memberships & Affiliations
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- 29 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars for 2017
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 33 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 11 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 37 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2013
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 44 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 15 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2012
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 41 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2011
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Tom is a periodic speaker before legal groups, as well as various personnel and labor relations associations.
The Ohio Labor Letter, 1996-2001
Ohio Management Lawyers Association - An invitation-only network of experienced management labor and employment lawyers formed to represent Ohio employers’ interests in amicus and legislative activities.