Stephen P. Withee
Steve focuses his practice in representing construction managers, general contractors, and trade/specialty contractors in disputes in mediation, arbitration and litigation relating to disruption and interference claims, construction defects, wrongful terminations from state and federal contracts, bid disputes, and lien foreclosures. He also provides counseling to his industry clients by providing a variety of services including risk management advice and contract drafting. Practicing since 1995, he is admitted in Ohio and West Virginia He is a member of the ABA Forum on Construction Industry, the ABA’s Construction Litigation Committee, AGC of Ohio, the OSBA, the Columbus Bar Association’s Construction Committee and is active in the Central Ohio Builders Exchange, where he chaired the Law Group and was a member of the Builder's Exchange Rising Leader class of 2008.
Represented general contractor in claim against school based upon owner’s failure to properly coordinate and schedule project.
Represented general trades contractor in prosecuting a claim against school involving claim against school board for various disruption costs while defending delay and acceleration claim asserted by masonry subcontractor.
Defended defective construction claim against concrete contractor seeking over $2 million in damages.
Conducted trial of claim to Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals challenging termination for default of mechanical contractor.
Represented owner in claim against design-builder for failure to properly design and construct multi-use entertainment facility.
Negotiated design-build contract for construction of medical office building and laboratory suites with a project value of $10 million.
Drafted and negotiated contracts on behalf of owner with construction manager, architects, and owner’s representative for multiple school construction projects.
Represented surety seeking declaration that public owner improperly terminated surety from its obligations under the bond.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2014
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, Construction Law, 2006, 2007, 2008
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry, Assistant Editor for online edition of Under Construction newsletter
- American Bar Association Litigation Section, Construction Litigation Committee, Ohiocase law editor for Construct!
- Ohio State Bar Association, Construction and Government Contracts Committee
- Columbus Bar Association, Construction Law Committee
- Builders Exchange of Central Ohio, Chair, Law Group; Education Task Force
- Associated General Contractors of Ohio, Legislation Committee
Recent Blog Posts
- U.S. Supreme Court Upholds Enforcement of Construction Contract Forum-Selection Provision
- FEDERAL CONTRACTORS COULD BE LIABLE UNDER FALSE CLAIMS ACT FOR “FRAUDLENT” UNDERBIDS OR “FALSE” ESTIMATES
- NEW FEDERAL POLICIES SEEK TO ACCELERATE PAYMENT TO SMALL BUSINESS SUBCONTRACTORS
- Public Owner's Post Bid Opening “Clarification” Request Invalidates Contract Award
- False Claims Act Introduced in Ohio Senate
- A New Federal Landscape for Small Disadvantaged Contractors
- Contractor's Attempt to Avoid $1,000 Penalty Results in a $3.1 Million Judgment
- How Long Do Ohio Contractors Have to Sue the State?
- How Much Public Money Triggers Prevailing Wages?
- Ohio's Governor Creates Website Related to Stimulus Bill
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Ohio Mechanic’s Lien Law"
"Construction Claims In Ohio"
"Contracting With The Ohio Schools Facilities Commission"
"Construction Contracting With Public Entities In Ohio"
"What's Going On Here: Ohio Construction Law Update"