Steven J. Goldstein
Steven joined Frost Brown Todd as chairman of the intellectual property department in June 1994. Prior to coming to Frost Brown Todd, he spent nineteen years at The Procter & Gamble Company as a patent attorney and legal manager, ultimately serving as an Associate General Counsel-Patent and World Patent Coordinator. This experience has provided Steven with an in-depth understanding of the needs and constraints of corporate clients.
Steven's practice emphasizes all aspects of U.S. patent prosecution, portfolio management and counseling, as well as licensing, trade secret and antitrust law. In addition, he has a special proficiency in the securing and exploitation of international patent rights, which he obtained while working in Belgium and receiving training at the University of Strasbourg, France. Steven has worked in a very broad range of technology areas including pharmaceuticals, beauty care and cosmetics products, cleaning products, food products, chemicals and chemical processes, and disposable diapers.
Steven is an adjunct professor at the University of Cincinnati College of Law teaching a course in patent law and prosecution skills. He is a member of the MIT Education Council. He is also a member of the Research Committee of Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, and the Board of Trustees of BioStart, Southwest Ohio’s biomedical incubator. Steven has authored numerous papers and presentations on a variety of intellectual property law topics.Steven is admitted to practice in Ohio, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Responsible for patent aspects of IPO for start-up medical device company.
Won EPO opposition decision upholding client's key pharmaceutical patent.
Worked with generic pharmaceutical company to develop non-infringement and patent invalidity positions for its products.
Developed successful patent portfolio development strategies for pharmaceutical and medical device start-ups.
Implemented cost-effective patent portfolio management strategies for chemical and pharmaceutical clients
Developed and presented patent training sessions for technical staff members of chemical and pharmaceutical clients.
Clients include leading universities, research hospitals and research institutes, as well as chemical and pharmaceutical companies ranging from the largest to start-ups.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Cincy Leading Lawyers, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2007-2014
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers® 2004-2014
- Chambers USA® America's Leading Business Lawyers 2008-2014, Named one of the top ten IP lawyers in Ohio
- Named a Life Sciences Star by Euromoney's LMG Life Sciences, 2012
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Chemical Practice, International and Education Committees, Member
- Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Adjunct Professor
- Supreme Court issues opinion in Alice v. CLS:
- Supreme Court issues opinion in case concerning ambiguous patent claim
- Supreme Court hears oral arguments in Nautilus v. Biosig Instruments
- Supreme Court hears oral argument in Alice Corp v. CLS Bank: When are inventions too abstract to be patented?
- Myriad Supreme Court Decision - cDNA, but not Isolated DNA, is Patent Eligible Subject Matter
- New Patent Strategies under the America Invents Act
- Advantages to Filing Patent Applications Before the America Invents Act becomes Fully Effective on March 16, 2013
- A New Way to Secure European Patent Rights is on the Horizon
- Federal Circuit Expands Potential Liability for Inducing Infringement of Patented Methods
- New Opportunities to Challenge Patents under the America Invents Act Coming in September
- Q&A With Frost Brown Todd's Steven Goldstein
- Supreme Court Rules Law of Nature Not Patentable in Mayo v. Prometheus
- CyberSource Corp. v. Retail Decisions, Inc.
- Federal Circuit Tightens Requirements for Inequitable Conduct in Therasense
- Patent Office Announces New First Action Interview Program
- Bilski v. Kappos: Supreme Court Refuses to Prohibit Software, Business Method, and Medical Diagnostic Method Patents
- Application Guidelines Released for the Therapeutic Discovery Tax Credit
- Opportunity Bulletin - Federal Income Tax Credits and Grants for Small to Mid-sized Biotech Companies
- Federal Circuit Analyzes The False Marking Statute
- 63 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Chambers USA®
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 67 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
- 68 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
- Nine Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Leading Lawyers in Cincinnati
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2013
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- Steven J. Goldstein Named a Life Science Star
- 44 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 15 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2012
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 57 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2011 Chambers USA®
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Receive Recognition in 2010 Super Lawyers® Corporate Counsel Edition
- 54 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2010 Chambers USA
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- BioStart, Member, Board of Trustees
- Children’s Hospital, Member, Research Committee
- MIT Education Counsel