Bart L. Greenwald
Bart has concentrated his practice in the commercial litigation field, including banking and fidelity bond actions, franchise/distributor matters and UCC litigation. He is a former vice chair of the firm's complex business litigation group and a former chair of the firm's financial institutions litigation group. Bart has been involved in several commercial litigation jury and bench trials, both as plaintiff and defendant. Bart is also extremely active in the American Bar Association, currently serving as one of only three Kentucky lawyers in an ABA Litigation Leadership position and serving on the Section's 18-member Governing Council. He also currently serves as the chair of the Kentucky Bar Association Civil Litigation Section.
Bart has successfully defended local, national and international corporations in actions involving breach of contract, fraud, negligence, RICO, the Uniform Commercial Code (Articles 2, 3, 5 and 9), defamation and sales disputes. On a local level, Bart primarily represents corporations in their business disputes and has developed a large practice of representing regional and local banks regarding their surety bond litigation, fraud, breach of contract and complex litigation issues. His reported and prominent decisions include the following:
Butchertown Neighborhood Association, et al. v. JBS USA, LLC et al, Kentucky Court of Appeals (2015). Won lower court full dismissal, upheld on appeal, for national pork-producing company regarding highly publicized neighborhood zoning issues.
Cogent Solutions Group, LLC v. Hyalogic, LLC, 712 F.3d 305 (6th Cir. 2013). Won U.S. District Court opinion and 6th Circuit appeal in breach of contract action against product manufacturer, including award of attorney fees.
Carmical v. Home Federal Bank, Harlan Circuit Court. Jury Trial (2013). Won directed verdict for community bank in tortious interference and fraud action.
Camp v. The Muhammad Ali Center, 2012 Jefferson Circuit Court. Won full summary judgment dismissal in breach of contract action against international non-profit agency.
Nelson v. Baker, Kentucky Court of Appeals, 2011. Won reversal for local Baptist church in case involving constitutional law questions regarding church membership and disclosure issues.
Western Kentucky Coca-Cola Bottling Co. v. Red Bull North America, 2010 WL 65029 (W.D. KY. 2010). Won full summary judgment dismissal for international beverage manufacturer against former distributor in $14 million breach of contract and fraud action.
Sutton v. Hopkins County, 2009 WL 3834069 (W.D. Ky. 2009). Secured a $3 million settlement on behalf of former county inmates who alleged they were improperly strip searched upon entry and release from jail.
Timothy C. Ford, et al. v. William T. Beasley, 148 S.W.3d 808 (Ky. Ct. App. 2004). Won breach of contract action to enforce settlement agreement; upheld by Kentucky Court of Appeals (established precedent in Kentucky regarding attorney's role in settlement negotiations).
Rivermont Inn, Inc. v. Bass Hotels Resorts, 113 S.W.3d 636 (2003) Won full dismissal, which was held up on appeal, in a fraud, promissory estoppel and breach of contract case involving a hotel chain and a potential franchisee (established precedent in Kentucky regarding promissory estoppel issues).
Western Funding, Inc. v. Franklin Career Services, U.S. District Court, Las Vegas, Nevada (2002). Trial. Defense verdict in $1 million breach of contract action between funding source and proprietary school.
Jeffrey v. KFC Foodservice Purchasing Co-op, Jefferson Circuit Court, Jury Trial (2000). Defense verdict in $10 million breach of contract/fraud action against national food purchasing cooperative.
Mall St. Matthews v. DeGrella Tile, Co., Jefferson Circuit Court, Jury Trial (1997). Plaintiff's verdict in large construction dispute.
Highlights & Recognitions
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2012-2015
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation, 2013-2016
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- ABA Litigation Section, Section Council, 2011 - present
- Commercial and Business Litigation Committee Co-Chair, 2009-2011
- Business Torts Committee Co-Chair, 2006-2009
- Journal Committee Co-Chair, 2004-2006
- Kentucky Bar Association, Litigation Section Chair, 2011-2013
- American Bar Foundation (1/3 of 1 percent of U.S. attorneys), 2006-present
- American Inns of Court, 1997-1999
Recent Blog Posts
- $10,000,000+ Kentucky Lender Liability Case Reversed
- Hot Topics in Business Litigation
- Electronic Discovery in Litigation
- Knowledge is the Key when Dealing with Discovery of Electronic Evidence
- Trust of Fiduciary: Sallee gives the Courts Good Ammunition to Rule as a Matter of Law
- Franchise Contracts, Greater Louisville, Inc.
- Equitable or Promissory Estoppel
- 50 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers In America® 2015
- 52 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 21 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2014
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- Seven Frost Brown Todd Attorneys to Present at 2013 KBA Convention
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- Bart Greenwald Appointed to the Council of the American Bar Association Section of Litigation and the Standing Committee on Professionalism
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Kentucky Derby Festival, Board of Directors, 2006-2013
- Jewish Hospital Healthcare Services, Board of Directors, 2004-2006; 2007-2012
- Jewish Heritage Fund for Excellence, Board of Directors, 2012-2013
- Louisville Collegiate School, Board of Trustees, 2008-present
- Jewish Hospital/Four Courts Senior Center, Board of Directors, 2002-2006
- Leadership Louisville, Class of 2002
- Leadership Louisville, Board of Directors, 2002-2003
- CASA Project of Jefferson County, President, 2002-2003; Vice President, 2001; Board of Directors, 1995-2004; Volunteer, 1992-2002
- Louisville Theatrical Association, Board of Directors, 2000-2002
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"'Good Faith" in the Binary World
American Bar Association, June 2015.
Practical Tips for Jury Selection in Civil Litigation
Kentucky Bar Association, Louisville, KY, October 2014
Rantings of A Partner ... and Pushback from the Associate.
Editor. ABA Publishing, 2011.
Directors and Officers Liability: Are you at risk?
Kentucky Bankers Association Spring Convention, April 2010
Directors and Officers Liability: A Refresher Course
Louisville Bar Association, February 2010
CEO and CFO Banking College
Kentucky Bankers Association, October 2009
Harnessing the Winds of Change to Bring Balance and Meaning to the Workplace
ABA Annual Conference, New York, NY, August 2008
Hiding the Ball - Preparing Expert Reports
ABA Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA, August 2007
Beyond Zubulake: The Brave New World of Electronic Discovery Revisited
ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference, New York, April 2005
Hot Topics in Business Litigation
American Bar Association Corporate Counsel Meeting, February 2004
Electronic Discovery in Litigation
Louisville and Kentucky Bar Associations, June 2002
Legal Obligations for Conducting a UCC Search
Kentucky Bankers Magazine, March 2008
Fidelity Bonds and Manifest Intent
Kentucky Bankers Magazine, October 2006
A Bank's Bond Claim: Proving Manifest Intent Can be a Matter of Fact
ABA Commercial and Business Litigation Journal, Summer 2003
A Bank's Bond Claim: Proving Manifest Intent Can be a Matter of Fact
Kentucky Bankers Magazine, October 2003
Trust or Fiduciary: Sallee Give the Courts Good Ammunition to Rule as a Matter of Law
Kentucky Bankers Magazine, Summer 2002
Equitable or Promissory Estoppel: An Important Distinction
ABA Commercial and Business Litigation Journal, Summer 2001