Beth Schneider Naylor
Beth provides national litigation management and preventive product safety counseling to U.S. and foreign manufacturers and distributors in diverse industry sectors. She works with clients to strategically manage product-related risks, claims and litigation using each individual client's business objectives as the guide. Beth's practice includes the following:
- Advising clients on proactive and tactical defense of claims and litigation dockets based on both long-term and short-term business objectives.
- Actively participating in the defense of lawsuits at discovery, motion, trial and appellate phases.
- Developing and working with a national network of experienced local counsel trained in efficient, effective and focused case handling procedures.
- Drafting, interpreting and implementing risk allocation and indemnity clauses in all types of distribution chain agreements.
- Designing, evaluating and auditing product literature, warnings, instructions and internal quality assurance, document retention, risk management and claims processes for compliance with standards and overall effectiveness.
- Representation in Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) matters from database monitoring to implementation of recalls.
- Participation in standards-making processes (ANSI and ISO) as an industry trade association representative.
In 2013, Beth received the "Ohio Glass Ceiling Award" from the National Diversity Council and Council on Women for outstanding leadership by professional women who are making it possible for others to follow in their steps. Beth has served on the Firm Governance Committee, co-chaired the Products Liability Practice Group and founded and chaired the FBT Women's Initiative. In 2006, she was named as one of Cincinnati's "Top 10 Women Bosses", and in 2011, she was named as FBT "Mentor of the Year."
Highlights & Recognitions
- University of Cincinnati, Lindner College of Business, Adjunct Professor, Legal Environment of Business, 2016 to present
- Lexology's Client Choice Award 2015, Litigation Category, Ohio
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2015-2016
- Cincy Leading Lawyer, Cincy Magazine, 2015, 2017
- Female Powerbroker by Law360, 2014
- 2013 Athena Finalist, Cincy Magazine
- Ohio Glass Ceiling Award, National Diversity Council and Council on Women, 2013
- Bar Register of Pre-eminent Women Lawyers, 2011
- Mentor of the Year, Frost Brown Todd LLC, 2011
- Product Liability Advisory Counsel (PLAC), Sustaining Member, 2009
- Litigation Counsel of America, 2009
- Women's Business Cincinnati "Top 10 Tri-State Bosses," March 2006
- Outstanding Lawyers of America, 2003
- International Who’s Who of Product Liability Defense Lawyers nominee, 2003
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®, 1998 - present
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association Board of Trustee Member
- Product Liability Advisory Council, Sustaining Member
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- Industry Advisory Board, Stericycle Expert Solutions
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Liability Exposure of Parent for US Sales Through US Subsidiary
- CPSC Permitted to Join Former CEO Personally in Action to Recall Products
- Buyers Beware
- CPSC Consumer Complaint Database Requires Vigilance From Product Manufacturers
- CPSC Announces Early "Soft Launch" of Database
- CPSC Provides Guidance on Children’s Product Labeling Requirements
- ALP: The premiums for our products liability insurance coverage are too high. How can we effectively negotiate with the carrier to reduce them?
- An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure
- The Flexibility Factor: Boosting the Legal Profession Toward Commitment and Loyalty
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- Beth Schneider Naylor receives prestigious global Client Choice Award
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- Frost Brown Todd Female Attorneys Recognized
- Beth Schneider Naylor Receives Glass Ceiling Award Presented by the National Diversity Council
- Beth Schneider Naylor Named President-Elect of Notre Dame Law Association (NDLA)
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- University of Notre Dame Law Association, Board of Directors, 2007-present
Admissions Committee Chair, 2010-2012
- Half the Sky Movement (2012 - present)
Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
- ND Lawyers Committee of Greater Cincinnati (2013 - present)
- All Saints Catholic Parish Boosters, 1993-2011
Track and Softball Coach
- Cincinnati Junior Rowing Club, 2009-2011
- Ursuline Academy of Cincinnati, 1996-2009
Second Century Campaign National Committee
Ultimate Auction Sponsor
- Archbishop Moeller High School, 2004-2008
Academic Advisory Council
Alcohol and Drug Policy Task Force
- Sycamore SAY and Select Soccer, 1995-2006
Coach and Sponsor
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Insureon Blog, "New Product Checklist for Small Businesses," July 27, 2016.
Law 360, “Female Powerbrokers Q&A: Frost Brown Todd's Beth Naylor,” May 16, 2014.
Assoc. of Corporate Counsel, Lexology®, "Buyers Beware: Purchasing Assets of a Bankrupt Product Manufacturer 'Free and Clear' Does Not Always Mean 'Free and Clear" From Successor Products Liability," April 2012 (republished in Law360, May 2012)
Defense Research Institute Fifty State Compendium, Ohio Section, “Damages Recoverable in an Infant’s Personal Injury or Wrongful Death Action,” April 2012. Damages Recoverable in a Minor's Personal Injury Action and a Minor's Wrongful Death Claim
BNA Products Safety and Liability Reporter, “Some Object to Sealing CPSC Database Suit: Others Attack Integrity of Database Itself,” 39 PSLR 1248 (interviewed by authors Martina S. Barash and Lorraine Gilbert as an expert in the field), November 14, 2011.
FBT Legal Brief, “CPSC Consumer Complaint Database Requires Vigilance from Products Manufacturers,” (with Erika Schoenberger), April 2011.
Dayton Daily News, “Website Gives Consumers Voice, Unsettles Businesses,” (interviewed by Randy Tucker as an expert in the field), March 9, 2011.
Law 360, “CPSC Database May Mean Messy Discovery Battles,” (interviewed by Nick Brown as an expert in the field), February 28, 2011.
Law 360, “Product Liability Regulation to Watch in 2011,” (interviewed by Nick Brown as an expert in the field), January 1, 2011.
FBT Legal Brief, “CPSC Provides Guidance on Children’s Product Labeling Requirement,” (with Erika Schoenberger and Mike Yarbrough), July 2009.
Cincinnati Business Courier, “An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure,” May 2002.
Cincinnati Bar Association Report, “The Flexibility Factor: Boosting the Legal Profession Toward Commitment and Loyalty,” October 1996.
The Cincinnati Business Record, “Ohio Supreme Court adds Hurdle to Constitutional Challenges of Zoning,” November 1994.
Speaker: “Practical Tips for Selecting Experts,” FBT Client CLE, May 2012.
Panel Facilitator and Speaker: “Navigating the CPSC: From Initial Injury to Rulemaking," DRI, Products Liability Conf., Hand & Power Tool SLG, April 2012.
Guest Lecturer: “Women in Law and Leadership,” University of Notre Dame Law School, March 2012.
Speaker: “Product Liability Overview: Preventive Product Safety and Contractual Risk Allocation,” Corporate Client Executive Management Seminar, December 2009 and FBT Client CLE, November 2003.
Speaker: "Overview of National Products Liability Litigation Management," DRI, Products Liability Conf., Hand & Power Tool SLG, April 2009 and February 2001.
Guest Lecturer: "Meet Your Future in the Legal Profession," Ursuline Academy, September 2007 and February 2000.
Guest Lecturer: “Products Liability Seminar,” The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law, Adjunct Professor Mike Yarbrough, Spring 2002.
Speaker: “Recent Developments in Attorney/Client Privilege,” FBT Client CLE, November 2001 and 2002.
Speaker: “The Woman Advocate,” Ohio State Bar Association, Ohio CLE Institute, August 1996 and Cincinnati Bar Association, May 1997.
Speaker: “Insurance Coverage for Environmental Damage Claims: Should the Insurer Pay the Bill?” FBT Client CLE, 1990 and Foley & Lardner CLE, 1988.