Christopher W. Rogers
Chris is a managing associate in the firm's Pittsburgh office. His practice and experience span a variety of areas including commercial and real property litigation, oil and gas transactional, due diligence, title matters, civil litigation, railroad defense, as well as municipal, land use and zoning matters. He has managed and co-managed time-sensitive due diligence projects across several deals that resulted in the acquisition of more than $1 billion in oil and gas assets, as well as closings and management of these assets. Chris has counseled and advised clients, including major U.S. exploration and production companies, on various oil and gas related issues in Ohio and Pennsylvania, including royalty and post-production costs, lease divisibility, merger of title, well-bore interests, Pennsylvania’s Act 13, and the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act, and has rendered drilling title opinions for oil and gas producing properties in the Marcellus Shale.
Chris has experience in a variety of commercial litigation, quiet title actions, breach of contract actions, mechanics’ lien claims, title disputes, pooling/unitization disputes, and trespass actions. He has assisted in the defense of a major U.S. railroad in various exposure-related claims under the Federal Employees’ Liability Act (FELA) and has counseled Pennsylvania municipalities on matters under the Pennsylvania Right to Know Law and represented them before the Pennsylvania Office of Open Records. A life-long Pittsburgh resident, he graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pittsburgh and received his J.D. from Duquesne University School of Law.
- Oil and gas title, transactions, due diligence.
- Real estate, commercial, and general civil litigation.
- Land use and zoning.
- Municipal law.
- Managed and co-managed due diligence review and closings for acquisition of 25,000 acres of oil and gas assets in eastern Ohio for major U.S. exploration and production company.
- Counseled mineral investment company on purchase of nonparticipating royalty interests in eastern Ohio.
- Co-managed due diligence, closing, and asset management of fee mineral assets acquired in West Virginia.
- Managed due diligence, closing, and asset management of fee mineral assets acquired in eastern Ohio.
- Successfully defended quiet title action of oil and gas estate in southwestern Pennsylvania on Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings on the basis of the merger of title doctrine.
- Successfully defended municipality’s denial of request for information regarding fireworks display under Pennsylvania’s Right to Know Law before the Office of Open Records citing safety exception to requirement to provide records.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation