Patrick R. Northam
Patrick is a member of the firm’s Louisville office, practicing in its Business Combinations and Capital Transactions, and Energy and Natural Resources, practice groups.
He serves as corporate, transactional and business counsel to numerous public and privately-owned industrial, commercial and service businesses, including in connection with merger, divestiture, acquisition, partnership and joint venture transactions, company formations and liquidations, company leadership and governance, project and infrastructure development transactions, intellectual property development and licensing transactions, recourse and non-recourse financings, product development, sales and distribution programs, and executive employment and compensation plans.
Patrick has provided extensive services and representations to clients in the following industries: power generation (including fossil fuel and renewable energy); natural gas production, transportation and distribution; chemicals manufacturing; aluminum production; coal mining and marketing; automotive production and sales; steel tank fabrication; medical products and devices; sporting goods; distilled spirits; telecommunications; paints and coatings; engineering and public works; print media; employee benefit and actuarial consulting; real estate brokerage; franchised restaurants and commercial graphics.
He is also a principal legal advisor to national and regional energy services companies with responsibility for numerous domestic and international mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, power project developments, strategic alliances and other corporation and transactional matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Patrick was a member at a major law firm in Louisville, where he served in its Corporate and Transactional Practice Group and was a member of that firm’s senior leadership, including serving as its Deputy Chairman. He also served as a senior in-house attorney for approximately six years with LG&E Energy Corp., then a large, diversified energy services company.
Highlights & Recognitions
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law, Energy Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law; Louisville Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2013
- Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A; Environment, Natural Resources and Utilities: Natural Resources; Environment, Natural Resources and Utilities: Utilities
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Business/Corporate Law
- Cambridge Who's Who Among Executives, Professionals and Entrepreneurs, 2008
- Awarded highest ranking (5 Dragons) by Lawdragon Magazine, a national lawyer ranking service
- Selected by Lawdragon Magazine from among all U.S. Lawyers as one of its "500 New Stars, New Worlds," for 2006
- Pleiades Honorary, Alpha Chapter, Indiana University
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Louis Dembitz Brandeis Scholar
- 161 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Chambers USA®
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 65 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Chambers USA®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 63 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Chambers USA®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 67 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
- Leading Attorneys Mark Sommer and Patrick Northam Make Strategic Move
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Leadership Kentucky Class of 2004
- Filson Historical Society, Board of Directors
- YMCA of Greater Louisville, Board of Directors