Alan S. Brown
Alan has more than 35 years of experience litigating and trying cases in state and federal courts and has extensive experience in arbitration and mediation. He has tried and arbitrated matters to judgment for plaintiffs and defendants relating to contract interpretation and breach; long-term coal supply agreements; force majeure; tortious interference; UCC Article 2; lending liability; state and federal banking regulations; supply contracts; restrictive covenants; trade secrets; breach of fiduciary duty; environmental damage and waste to real property; corporate ownership, control and governance; and will, trust and probate disputes.
Alan chaired FBT's business litigation group, the firm's largest practice group, for six years. He has argued cases to the Indiana Court of Appeals, Indiana Supreme Court, and 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, and has had primary responsibility for appellate briefs for the winning sides in key decisions involving contract formation (Mays v. Trump Indiana, 253 F.3d 351 (7th Cir. 2001)); lender liability (Wabash Grain, Inc. v. BankOne, 713 N.E.2d 323 (Ind.Ct.App. 1999)); foreign currency exchange and employer codes of conduct (Interactive Intelligence, Inc. v. KeyBank, 546 F.3d 897 (7th Cir. 2008)); trade secrets and RICO (AGS Capital Corp. v. Product Action Int’l. 884 N.E. 2d 295 (Ind.Ct.App. 2008)); promissory estoppel (Classic Cheesecake v. JPMorgan Chase, 546 F.3d 839 (7th Cir. 2008)); dissenting and minority shareholder rights (Fleming v. International Pizza, 676 N.E.2d 1051 (Ind. 1997)); and fiduciary duties among members and managers of LLCs (Purcell v. S. Hills Investments, LLC, 847 N.E.2d 991 (Ind.Ct.App. 2006)).
Alan is recognized as one of Indiana’s leading business litigators, receiving annual recognition in publications including Martindale-Hubbell® (AV rated); Best Lawyers in America®; Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business®; Benchmark Litigation®- Local Litigation Stars; and Indiana Super Lawyers®.
In addition to his litigation work, Alan counsels companies and entrepreneurs regarding contract terms and conditions, and the development of general business, litigation and litigation-avoidance strategies. Alan works with growing companies to help them identify their contract, tort and insurance risks and institutionalize systems and practices to manage those risks.
Highlights & Recognitions
- AV Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2001–2017
- Indiana Super Lawyers®, 2004–2016
- Chambers USA, Commercial Litigation, 2006-2016
- Benchmark Litigation®, “Local Litigation Star”, Indiana, 2010–2012
- Indianapolis Business Journal, "Who's Who in Law"
- Joseph R. Olshan Award for Outstanding Service and Dedication, Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC), 2006
Memberships & Affiliations
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
President, FDCC Foundation
FDCC Foundation Philanthropic Fellow
Past Officer and Director
Program Chair, 2000 Annual Meeting
Convention Chair, 2001 Annual Meeting
Past Chair, Business Torts and Commercial Litigation Section
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Foundation Fellow
Recent Blog Posts
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Editions of Indiana Super Lawyers and Indiana Rising Stars
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 65 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Chambers USA®
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 63 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Chambers USA®
- 27 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 7 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 67 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 11 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 12 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2012
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 57 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2011 Chambers USA®
- 18 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 8 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2011
- Frost Brown Todd's Indianapolis Litigation Practice Recognized as "Highly Recommended Local Litigation Firm"
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
- 54 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2010 Chambers USA
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Receive Recognition in 2010 Super Lawyers® Corporate Counsel Edition
- 18 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 7 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2010
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- American Pianists Association, Director and Chair, Governance Committee; Past Officer
- Indy Jazz Fest, Past Chair
- Carmel United Soccer Club, Inc., Past Director; Past President
- Cathedral Arts, Inc., Past Director
- Indiana Soccer Association, Inc., President and Director
- Kids Fest, Past Chair
- Midsummer Festival, Past Chair
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Training Legal Professionals as Project Managers"
Practising Law Institute, New York, January 2011
"Overcoming Lawyer Resistance to Project Management"
Project Management for Lawyers, January 2011
"Preparing for Success in Mediation"
PLRB/FDCC Joint Conference, Chicago, September 2008
"Managing Contract Risks for Growing Businesses"
Blue Chip Business Awards Workshop, August 2008
“Class Actions: Report from the Epicenter”
FDCC Corporate Members Forum, March 2005
"Cycles of Scandals - History Repeats Itself"
Joint FDCC/British Insurance Law Association Seminar at Lloyd's of London, January 2005
FDCC Law Firm Management Conference
FDCC Litigation Management College
"Transitioning a Business from Start-up to Operating Entity"
Indianapolis Business Journal, October 2008
"Alternative Fee Arrangements"
Association of Corporate Counsel, Indiana Chapter, Newsletter, 2007
"Comparison of Consumer Fraud Statutes Across the Fifty States"
FDCC Quarterly, 2005