Ashley L. Oliker
Ashley is an experienced trial attorney and managing associate in the Business Litigation Practice Group. Ashley represents clients in a wide-array of business and appellate litigation, including commercial disputes, contract disputes, real estate litigation, title insurance defense, oil and gas litigation, non-compete agreements, and defamation claims. Ashley has successfully defended her clients as lead counsel in several trials. She has experience presenting opening statements and closing arguments; direct and cross examination of both fact and expert witnesses; and preparing and defending witnesses for trial.
In addition to her trial work, Ashley has successfully defended multiple clients in the Supreme Court of Ohio and the Tenth District Court of Appeals. Ashley’s appellate experience includes presenting oral argument and drafting appellate briefs.
Ashley also has extensive pre-trial litigation experience. She has taken and defended over fifty depositions of both fact and expert witnesses; prepared numerous successful dispositive and other pre-trial motions; and has significant experience drafting and responding to written discovery.
Ashley currently represents various clients in administrative proceedings, and state and federal courts throughout the State of Ohio.
Prior to joining FBT, Ashley served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Ohio. In this role, she represented the State of Ohio and its instrumentalities, including its universities, hospitals, agencies and departments in civil litigation before the Ohio Court of Claims. During her tenure in the Court of Claims Defense Section of the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, Ashley gained extensive litigation experience in all phases of litigation, including pre-trial practice, trial work and appellate practice. As an Assistant Attorney General, Ashley’s primary representation was defending a leading state university in civil actions before the Court of Claims.
Before serving as an Assistant Attorney General, Ashley practiced as a Litigation Associate in the Columbus office of an Am Law 100 firm. In this role, Ashley gained experience litigating cases in various state and federal courts throughout the country.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2017 edition of “People to Know in Law” by Columbus Business First. (October 2017)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Columbus Bar Association, Board of Governors
- Columbus Bar Association, Federal Courts Committee Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Common Pleas Court Committee Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Member
- The Better Lawyer, Editor-in-Chief
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Litigation Section Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Legislative Reform Committee Member
- Ohio Women's Bar Association, Member
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County, President
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County, Past President-Elect
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County, Former Secretary
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County, Former Treasurer
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County, Former Networking Chairwoman
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County, Former Law School Liaison
- Young Professionals of Columbus, Member
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- YWCA of Columbus, Chase Gen-Y Leadership Program
- YWCA Family Center Volunteer
- High School and Middle School Mock Trial Coach
- Children's Hunger Alliance Volunteer
- Dress for Success Volunteer
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Presenter, “Mineral Rights: Ownership and Potential Title Claims” for the Ohio Land and Title Association Spring Seminar; April 2017.
Panelist, The Ohio State University Moritz School of Law Discussion on Resiliency and Professionalism in the Law; February 2017.
Keynote Speaker for Women Lawyers of Franklin County 75th Anniversary Soiree; February 2017.
Presenter, “New Rules to Play By” CLE discussing recent amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure; November 2016.
Presenter for Recent Questions Raised by Corban and the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act, Energy and Mineral Law Foundation Special Institute; December 2016.
Moderator for Panel Discussion on Women Who’ve Made History, featuring Former Ohio Attorney General Betty Montgomery, Former Supreme Court of Ohio Justice Yvette McGee Brown, and Former Secretary of State and current Tenth District Court of Appeals Judge Jennifer Brunner; March 2016.
Featured in August 19, 2016 Edition of Columbus Business First for leadership in the legal community.
Moderator for Ted Talk Discussion for Women in the Legal Profession on work-life balance; February 2016.
Panelist for discussion on work-life balance for young attorneys for the Young Lawyers Committee of the Columbus Bar Association; February 2016.
"When 'Cleaning Up' Gets Dirty: The Ethical Implications Surrounding E-Discovery and Social Media", The Ohio State Bar Association Litigation Section Newsletter, Vol. 17, Issue 3, 2013.