Carte P. Goodwin
Carte's practice includes litigation and appellate advocacy, as well as advising clients on government relations, intellectual property matters and commercial transactions.
After serving as general counsel to the West Virginia governor from 2005-2009, Carte returned to his family law practice Goodwin & Goodwin, which he initially joined in 2000. In July of 2010, Carte was appointed to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the passing of a U.S. senator. He is currently serving on the United States – China Economic and Security Review Commission.
Carte serves as the Member-in-Charge of FBT's Charleston office. He is also a principal of CivicPoint, the firm's subsidiary.
- Representing clients in appeals and civil litigation throughout West Virginia’s state and federal courts.
- Representing clients in mass and class action litigation.
- Representing clients in various commercial transactions as well as the formation and organization of business entities.
- Representing clients in government affairs.
- Representing clients in the preparation and registration of federal trademark applications, license agreements and intellectual property litigation.
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Author, “Live, In Concert and Beyond: A New Standard of Contributory Copyright Infringement.” 13 Emory Int’l L. Rev. 345 (1999)