Dean R. Brackenridge
Dean, a member of Frost Brown Todd LLC, focuses his practice on business, construction, environmental and real estate matters.
The construction clients he represents include general contractors, engineers, architects, and surveyors.
Dean has represented insurance companies in numerous coverage disputes. His representation of insurance company clients has included defense of bad faith claims arising from, among other issues, claims handling practices and alleged conflicts of interest.
In addition, he also routinely defends several national collection agencies in federal court litigation, often defending against class action allegations.
Dean currently serves as the President of the Board of Directors of the St. Mary’s Child Center, a United Way member agency which provides education for 170 children ages 3-5 who are at learning and life risk. He also serves as the chair of the St. Mary’s Child Center Fund Development Committee (2009-present), serves as the chair of its annual Spring Soiree event (2006-present) and serves on its Strategic Planning Committee.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association, Construction and Surety Law Section, Executive Council; Vice Chair (2010-present); Secretary (2008-2010); Treasurer (2006-2008)
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), NAHB University of Housing: Approved Instructor
Recent Blog Posts
- Preserving Your Delay Claim (Just in Case the Project Runs Long)
- New Requirements Emphasized Concerning Indiana Rule 5 Construction Plans
- Indiana Court Allows Reformation of Development Contract Where Party Covertly Changed Provision In Later Draft of Proposed Contract
- Indiana Department of Transportation Announces Bid Date for "Shovel Ready" Projects Tabbed for Stimulus Money
- Common Mistakes of Indiana’s Mechanic’s Lien Claimants (And How To Avoid Them)
- General Contractors May Have Coverage For Costs Arising Out Of Subcontractors' Defective Work
- Are Construction Bid Errors Up in a Down Economy?
- A "Stark" Reality for Indiana Contractors Who Do Not Strictly Comply with Contractual Claim Notice Provisions
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- St. Mary's Child Center, Board of Directors, President; Development Committee, Chair; Annual Spring Soiree event, Chair (2006-present), Strategic Planning Committee, Member
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Compliance"
"An Environment of Care: Environmental Compliance and Practices in the Healthcare Industry"
Health Law Symposium, February 2010
"New Developments in Indiana Law Affecting Builders and Developers"
2008 Indiana Issues Conference, Indiana Builders Association
“Construction Contracts and Law”
Association of Home Builders and the Indiana Builders Association
“Resolving Problems and Disputes on Construction Projects”
"Complying with Indiana Executive Branch Lobbying Requirements"
Client seminar, 2006
Design-Build Power Panel, Indiana Construction Management Summit
Associated Builders and Contractors of Indiana, 2005
"The Construction Surety's Role, Responsibilities and Liabilities"
Case Notes: Update regarding Indiana Construction Law
Contributing Author, Chapter 15, Indiana Construction and Design Law (2nd Ed. 2009)
Indiana Construction Cites
Editor, 2005-present, Indiana State Bar Association, Construction and Surety Law Section
"Selective Enforcement of Insurance Policies Concerning Damages Arising from a Contractor's Faulty Work"
The Hoosier Contractor (Summer 2008)
"Does Your Business Have an E-Discovery Plan? "
Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2007, Issue II)
"Contractors Put on Notice That Courts May Strictly Enforce Contract Notice Provisions"
Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2007, Issue I)
State-by-State Guide to Construction Contracts and Claims
Contributing Author, Chapter 16, Indiana (1st Ed. 2006)
"Subcontractor Didn't Say 'Simon Says Make the Improvements': The Active Owner Consent Prerequisite to Lien Rights of Contractors Hired by Lessees" Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2006, Issue II)
"Avoiding the Seven Deadly Sins of Mechanic's Lien Claimants"
Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2005, Issue III)
"'Siding' Against the Contractor: Indiana Supreme Court Recognizes Homeowners' Interior Damage Claim Against Façade Installer"
Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2005, Issue II)
"Preserving Your Delay Claim -- Just in Case the Project Runs Long"
Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2005, Issue I)
"A New Headache for Owners (And Generals): A Subcontractor's Personal Liability Notice Might Arrive Before He Does"
Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2003, Issue II)
Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law
Contributing Author, Indiana Chapter, Vol. 3 (2nd Ed. 2000)