Debbie Reiss Hardesty
Debbie is a member of the Firm's Executive Committee and has held various other leadership positions in the Firm's business department and Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Practice Group. Debbie regularly addresses a wide variety of issues involving design and tax and ERISA compliance for employee benefit plans and executive compensation programs for businesses with national scope. She has successfully used her knowledge of stock ownership and compensation programs to lead a number of cross-disciplinary teams in business management and ownership succession transactions.
- Assist in the entire life-cycle of successful ESOP companies. One example: established an ESOP to preserve jobs in the face of possible closure due to loss of capital financing; counseled the company in governance and maintenance of the ESOP; and then represented the company in sale of ESOP's stock to a public company after years of growth.
- Executive compensation program redesign, requiring termination of some plans, enhancement of others, and addition of new plans. Cooperative with in-house counsel, actuaries, and other outside consultants and vendors to create a cohesive new program, for both public and private companies.
- 409A compliance and corrections.
- Ownership succession facilitator. Debbie frequently navigates the numerous options available to family-owned companies considering the pros and cons of sale, succession of ownership and management to family members, or the succession to non-family members with or without continued family ownership.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV® Preeminent®-Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 1995-2017
- The DOL's new Fiduciary Rules—Retirement Plan Sponsor Perspective
- Partnership and LLC Alert:
- New IRS Guidance on Treatment of Same-Sex Spouses in Employee Benefit Plans
- 90-Day Maximum Health Plan Waiting Period: Final Rules Give Some Relief
- Employers get a Reprieve on 2015 Health Reform Mandates
- What to Look For in your Benefit Plans that will Need to be Addressed After This DOMA Decision
- Model Notices Related to Health Insurance Exchanges - Employer Obligations
- Participant-Level Fee and Investment Disclosures are Greatly Expanded
- Retirement Plan Service Providers Have New Fee and Service Disclosure Requirements (The "408b-2 Rule")
- More Health Care Reform Guidance Issued
- New Guidance Confirms: It is Going to be Nearly Impossible to Remain a “Grandfathered” Health Plan
- What Does Health Care Reform Mean for Employers—Now and Later?
- W-2 Reporting of Nonqualified Deferred Compensation
- Numerous Recent Law and Accounting Changes Affect Stock Options
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 40 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Contribute to Book on Limited Liability Companies
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 15 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as 2011 “Lawyers of the Year”
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Debbie has served as a great resource to hundreds of businesses around the region throughout 2009-10 in sharing her knowledge and understanding of federal health care reform’s effects on employers at seminars and speaking engagements around Kentucky and Indiana.
"ERISA Plan Fiduciary Fundamentals (Part I) and Best Practices (Part II)," presented at the Pension Focus Conference, May 2015
"Health Benefit Changes in Recent Legislation," presented to clients and friends of Frost Brown Todd and BB&T Insurance Services on April 15, 2009.
"How to Avoid Code Section 409A Pitfalls in your Stock Plan," presented to the Ohio Chapter of the National Association of Stock Plan Administrators on March 24, 2009.
"HSAs: Basic to Advanced," presented at the Kentuckiana Society for Human Resource Managers Conference in October 2007 and 2008
"New Tax Rules for Deferred Compensation," presented at the 18th Annual Cincinnati Employee Benefits Conference, June 2005 (and other locations, including updates after proposed and final regulations)
"The Top Ten Benefits and Compensation Issues for 2007," presented at the 24th Annual Carl A. Warns Labor and Employment Law Institute, June 2007
The Kentucky Employee Benefits Guide, Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, January 1, 2005
Retirement and Fringe Benefit Planning, a chapter in Limited Liability Companies in Kentucky (University of Kentucky College of Law, 1994)
Chapter Author: Executive Compensation, Retirement and Fringe Benefit Issues, in Kentucky Corporation Law (University of Kentucky College of Law, 1997)
Co-Author: Drafting Partnership Agreements (ALI/ABA 7th ed., 1986)
Editor and Author of Monograph: Business Succession Planning (University of Kentucky College of Law, 1988)