Donald L. Crain
Don is the former chair Frost Brown Todd's government services practice group. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® and has been named to Ohio Super Lawyers®. His work is focused on the labor and employment and governmental law areas. He regularly represents numerous clients in a wide array of matters, with emphasis on Ohio township, municipal and school law, public and private sector labor and employment law, arbitrations, labor contract negotiations and administration and litigation. He has negotiated over 400 labor agreements for public employers since 1984, including over 225 in the area of public safety.
Acted as Chief Negotiator for major City Police and Fire negotiations where public safety budget exceeded $400 million.
Primary trial counsel in over 40 unfair labor practice trials in NLRB proceedings.
Serves as Solicitor – Indian Hill, Ohio, Law Director - West Chester, Ohio, and General Counsel for the Middletown City Schools.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2011-2017
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers® 2017, Ohio Law and Politics/Cincinnati Magazine
- AWARD OF EXCELLENCE, Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association
- Who's Who in Cincinnati Law, Cincinnati Business Courier
- West Chester/Liberty Chamber of Commerce, Community Support Honoree
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Butler County Bar Association, Past President
- Middletown Bar Association, Past President
- Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys, Past Chairman of Board of Directors
- Ohio and National Public Employer Labor Relations Association, Member
- Ohio and International Municipal Lawyers Association, Member
- Miami University School of Business, Previously Adjunct Professor for course work in Labor Relations and Negotiations, undergraduate and graduate studies
- Supreme Court Sends Transgender Bathroom Case Back to Court of Appeals
- Trump Administration Revokes Administrative Guidance Regarding Transgender Student Rights in Schools
- Sixth Circuit Decision May Open the Door for Ohio Cities and Limited Home Rule Townships to Enact “Right to Work” Legislation
- Sixth Circuit Refuses to Overrule Injunction Requiring School to Allow Transgender Student to use Restroom Based on Gender Identity
- SCOTUS Blocks Order Requiring School to Allow Transgender Student Access to Bathroom Matching Their Gender Identity
- The Effects of the State Biennial Budget on Ohio School Districts
- The Government Issues Guidance on the Responsibility of Public Schools Regarding Communication with Students with Hearing/Vision/Speech Disabilities
- OCR Issues Guidance on Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Self-Audit Check: Don't Spend Public Money for Political Purposes
- Employee Firearm Authorization Policies for Schools
- Office of Civil Rights Issues Guidance on School District Section 504 Policies
- What You Should Know Regarding the Sixth Circuit Decision Involving "Policymaking" Employees
- Ohio Cyber-Bullying Legislation: What You Need to Know
- Ohio Senate Bill 5: Public Sector Collective Bargaining Reform—Legislative Update
- Ohio Senate Bill 5: Public Sector Collective Bargaining Reform--What You Need to Know
- Staying Union-Free in 2011
- Important Changes to Ohio Election Procedures
- 29 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars for 2017
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 33 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 11 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- Donald Crain Recognized with Highest Award given by Dan Beard Council
- 37 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2013
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 44 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 15 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2012
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- Frost Brown Todd Partner, Donald L. Crain to Become Chairman of the Miami University Board of Trustees
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Miami University Board of Trustees - member 2006-2015 and immediate past Chairman; Miami - Middletown Citizens Advisory Board, 1983-1993; 1995-2006
- Miami University Foundation Board of Trustees, Chair Development Committee
- Fairfield Civil Service Commission, 1981-2003, Seven times past-Chairman
- Miami University Red & White Club, Past-President, Volunteer of the Year 1995, 2009
- Middletown Branch American Heart Association, Past President and Founding Board Member
- Dan Beard Council of Boy Scouts of America, Past District Chairman - Fort Hamilton (Butler County) District; Member, Council Board of Directors
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Speaker: FMCS Annual Seminar - Effect of Economy on Negotiations Budgets - May 17, 2016
Speaker: Ohio Township Association - "Ohio Fact-Finding and Conciliation" - July 7, 2015
Speaker: Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association - "Hard on the Issues, Soft on the People" - February 2, 2015
Speaker: Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association - "Negotiations Do's and Don'ts" - February 3, 2014
Speaker: Miami Valley Communications Council - NLRB/SERB Update, November 5, 2013.
Speaker: "BGD Legislative Conference," December 2012
Speaker: "Where Angels Fear to Tread? - Navigating the Waters of Subcontracting" - FBT School Law Seminar, November, 2012
Article: "Rays of Hope" (Negotiations after SB5)
Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association Newsletter, Winter 2011 Edition
Speaker: "Grievance and Arbitration - Leading You to Victory"
Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association, February, 2012
Speaker: "Taking Care of Unfinished Business: Midterm Bargaining and Reopeners"
Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association, February, 2011
Speaker: "Recent Developments - Fact-Finding and Conciliation in Ohio"
Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association, February, 2010
Speaker: "Fact-Finder as Mediator"
SERB Fact-Finding Conference, Columbus, Ohio, August, 2009
Speaker: "Binding Arbitration in the Brave New World of EFCA and Federal Public Safety Act"
American Arbitration Association/Northern Kentucky University, July, 2009
Speaker: "The Evolution of Collective Bargaining in Ohio - Over 25 Years"
Ohio SERB Conference, April, 2009
Speaker: "Mid-Term Bargaining Law in Ohio"
Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association, February, 2009
Speaker: "Retire/Rehire Considerations for Ohio Public Employers"
Ohio Township Administrators Network Columbus, Ohio, October, 2008
Speaker: "Retention of Jurisdiction by the Arbitrator"
Arbitration and Mediation Service of Cincinnati, Ohio, May, 2008
Speaker: "Effective Witness Interviews and Preparation"
Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association, February, 2008