Eric A. Riegner
Eric is the Chair of the firm's Product, Tort and Insurance Practice Group. His practice is focused upon the defense of catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, and business and economic loss claims. Eric has tried 51 jury trials and has obtained 42 defense verdicts for his clients. These include cases involving quadriplegia, paraplegia, locked-in syndrome, wrongful death of minors and adults, closed-head injuries, intentional torts, constructive fraud, and breach of contract leading to insolvency. In 2013, Eric was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. Fellowship in the College is by invitation only, and is limited to one percent of the lawyers in each state, as determined by judges and peers.
Some of Eric's noteworthy trials include the following:
Berry v. Utility Company (defense verdict in wrongful death case involving platform lift).
Simmons v. Automotive Manufacturer (defense verdict in product liability case involving paraplegia of mentally-handicapped plaintiff who allegedly sustained his injuries as a result of defective seatbelt).
Chandler v. Trucking Carrier (defense verdict in case of wrongful death of a special-needs minor killed in head-on truck/vehicle collision).
Good v. Automation Software Developer (favorable settlement during trial wherein bankruptcy trustee was seeking $60,000,000 for alleged insolvency of debtor as a result of broken contract and supposedly defective software).
Purvis v. Automobile Manufacturer (defense verdict in product liability crashworthiness case involving alleged "locked-in" syndrome).
Moore v. Automobile Manufacturer (substantial plaintiff's verdict in wrongful death/crashworthiness case, reversed on appeal, re-tried and ultimately settled).
A number of Eric's cases have resulted in significant appellate decisions. These include:
Ford Motor Co. v. Rushford, 868 N.E.2d 806 (S.Ct.Ind. 2007) (duty to warn clarified).
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. v. Wright, 774 N.E.2d 891 (S.Ct.Ind. 2002) (internal policies do not create higher standard of care).
Zawistoski v. Glick, 727 N.E.2d 790 (Ind.Ct.App. 2000) (interpretation of commercial lease).
Rogers v. Ford Motor Co., 952 F.Supp. 606 (N.D.Ind. 1997) (Daubert standard under Indiana law).
Tried 51 jury trials and at least 20 bench trials, and has eight reported appellate decisions.
Served as regional coordinating and trial counsel for a major automotive supplier.
Extensive experience with Alternative Dispute Resolution in multi-district mass-tort federal litigation.
Appointed by a Fortune 500 client to a team of settlement specialists that traveled the United States attempting to resolve major claims and suits involving a high-profile recalled product.
Highlights & Recognitions
- American College of Trial Lawyers, inducted 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2008–2017
- American Board of Trial Advocates, inducted 2004
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers®, 2007–2016
- Outstanding Lawyers of America, 2003–present
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, invited 2002
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Editions of Indiana Super Lawyers and Indiana Rising Stars
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- 27 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 7 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- Frost Brown Todd Attorney Elected to American College of Trial Lawyers
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 11 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 12 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2012
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 18 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 8 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2011
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
- 18 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 7 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2010
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law - Indianapolis Alumni Association Board of Directors, President, 2006-2007; Vice President, 2005-2006; Treasurer, 2004-2005
- Indianapolis Bar Association Distinguished Fellow, 2009 - present
- Homeless Project
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish Council
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Indiana's Product Liability Act & Related Statutes, 2004
UM/UIM Compendium, Indiana, 2007, Defense Research Institute