Greg E. Mitchell
Greg is a member of Frost Brown Todd LLC and practices in the corporate/commercial area. His practice is concentrated in the areas of commercial and corporate transactions, insurance regulatory matters and insurance insolvency, international regulation and trade (export/import, customs, licensing and technology transfer, sale of goods, foreign investment, structuring of international sales and manufacturing operations, distributorships and joint ventures) and workouts/restructuring.
Greg heads the firm's insurance regulatory practice group, which provides a variety of insurance related legal services, including representation of national insurance carriers in regulatory compliance and licensing matters, including life and health, MEWAs, self-insurance funds, unauthorized insurers and conversions. He regularly attends meetings of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and his work has been cited numerous times in Mealey's publications.
Prior to joining the predecessor to Frost Brown Todd LLC, Greg was associated with the high-technology/international trade practice group of Buchanan Ingersoll, P.C. and with American Export Group International Services, Inc., a Washington D.C./Baltimore based export corporation doing business mainly in Western Europe and the Middle East.
Insurance Industry Practice
Greg is a member of the Federation of Regulatory Counsel and he also chairs the Insurance Regulatory practice group of Multilaw, an international association of law firms located in 150 commercial centers throughout the world.
Insurance Business Experience:
- Development and approval of national insurance/extended warranty/service contract products and programs, including distribution, marketing and compensation systems.
- Formation and authorization of various types of risk bearing entities, including domestic and off-shore captives, risk retention groups, risk purchasing group, captive/risk retention groups, life and property and casualty insurers, as well as group and self-insurers.
- Insurance producer licensing, business entity licensing and limited lines licensing and design of regional, national and international insurance product distribution systems, including call center operations.
- Holding company system filings and licensing, as well as preparation of insurance management and outsourcing agreements.
- Market conduct, special target examinations and other type of investigations by state and federal regulators, including MAWG actions.
- Counsel for over 120 former members of the Kentucky workers’ compensation group self-insurance fund, AIK Comp in Rehabilitation.
- Counsel for numerous insurers affected by the liquidations of Reciprocal of America, Legion and Reliance, as well as other domestic and off-shore insolvencies.
- Lead counsel on the liquidation and related litigation of the National Business Association Trust/National Benefit Administrators, Inc., a Kentucky unauthorized insurer doing business in 22 states.
- Handled general litigation matters for the estate, including claims administration, document retention/depository, asset management, coordination with the departments of insurance, and reports to the Court, as well as acted as lead counsel in numerous adversary proceedings, including officer-director suits, preference and collection actions.
- Coordination counsel on the liquidation of Kentucky Central Life Insurance Company.
- Handled general rehabilitation/liquidation matters for the estate, including claims administration, document retention/ depository, asset management, coordination with NOLHGA, and reports to the Court, as well as acted as lead counsel in numerous adversary proceedings, including multi-million dollar preference actions, foreclosures, and collection actions. Also special counsel in actions against officers, directors and auditors.
- Oral argument before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals concerning an unauthorized insurance MEWA, insurance insolvency, ERISA and application of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
- American Chambers Life Insurance Company
- AIK Comp
- Legion/Mutual Risk Management Ltd
- Reciprocal of America/The Reciprocal Group
- First Virginia Re
- Doctors Insurance Reciprocal Group
- Mutual Holdings (Bermuda) Ltd
- Numerous issues for various parties to the insolvency proceedings of admitted carriers and other risk bearing entities, including captives
In the News:
State Offers Deal to End Companies' AIK Comp Obligations
Business First (September 18, 2009)
International Services Group
Greg's practice is concentrated in the areas of international regulation and trade compliance (export/import, dumping/trade remedies, customs, licensing and technology transfer, sale/labeling/regulation of goods, foreign investment, structuring of international sales and manufacturing operations, distributorships and joint ventures) and insurance/risk management.
Greg heads the Firm's trade compliance practice group within the International Services. Prior to joining the predecessor to Frost Brown Todd LLC, He was associated with the High-Technology/International Trade Practice Group of Buchanan Ingersoll, P.C. and with American Export Group International Services, Inc., a Washington D.C./Baltimore based export corporation doing business mainly in Western Europe and the Middle East.
- Counsel on numerous foreign investment transactions and related regulatory compliance in the EEC, South America, Mexico, Canada, the former Soviet Union, Pakistan, India, China and South Africa among others.
- Counsel in defense of multi-million dollar customs criminal investigation involving allegations of violations of the Tariff Act of 1933, the Buy-American Act, among others.
- Counsel in numerous anti-dumping investigations, several gray market good investigations and numerous compliance audits and training presentations relating to export/import issues.
- Counsel on numerous trade compliance and regulatory internal investigations.
- Counsels clients in import and export operations, including establishment of trade compliance programs and voluntary disclosure issues before the Bureau of Industry and Security and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.
- Counsels clients in all aspects of international trade and regulatory compliance, including acting as outside regulatory counsel.
- Counsel on numerous foreign investment transactions, including off-shore alternative risk transfer entities
Lead counsel on numerous MAWG actions, and multi-state department investigations, corrective action plans and regulatory settlement agreements.
Counsel for 24 Kentucky hospitals in the second largest case ever tried before the Virginia corporation in the Reciprocal of America insurance insolvency proceeding, which included issues on the guaranty fund system and definition of insurance.
Lead counsel on the development and regulatory compliance of numerous specialty insurance programs
Lead counsel of the formation of numerous captive and alternative risk financing entities, both in the U.S. and in foreign jurisdictions
Lead counsel on numerous commercial foreclosures/workouts involving multi-million dollar loans, receiverships and lender liability defense issues for various lending institutions, the FDIC, RTC and liquidators
Counsel on numerous foreign investment transactions
Trial counsel with Grant Cowan in the Nowicki litigation which resulted in $17.3 million judgment (at the time - second largest jury verdict in Eastern District of Kentucky)
Highlights & Recognitions
- U.S. Department of State Certificate of Appreciation, July 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Insurance Law, 2007-2017
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent®, Rated
Memberships & Affiliations
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel, Inc.
- Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society, Member
- INSOL, Member
- National Society of Professional Insurance Investigators, Member
- International Association of Insurance Receivers, Accredited Insurance Receiver, Legal
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals, Member
- Society for International Affairs, Member
- Global Alliance of Travel + Tourism + Hospitality Attorneys (GATTHA), Member
- Fayette County Bar Association, Business & Corporate Law, Bankruptcy Law and Intellectual Property & Computer Law Practice Sections
- Kentucky Bar Association, Business Law and Bankruptcy Law Sections
- American Bar Association, Business Law, Intellectual Property Law and Tort & Insurance Practice (Life Insurance Law Committee, Excess, Surplus Lines and Reinsurance Committee, and Insurance Regulation Committee, Self Insurers and Risk Managers Committee); International Law & Practice (Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee, Customs Law, Russia-Eurasia Committee, International Trade Committee)
Recent Blog Posts
- Changes to Ohio Pharmacy Laws Bring New Requirements for Pharmacy Technicians
- NCOIL Adopts Amendment to the Limited Lines Travel Insurance Model Act
- Rhode Island - Insurers Impacted by RI Revision to Vaccine Assessment Program
- Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance Discusses Blockchain’s Impact on the Insurance Industry
- Proposed Amendments Signal Potential Disruption for Entire Travel Industry
- NCOIL Addresses Proposed Amendment to Limited Lines Travel Model Act; NAIC Travel Insurance (C) Working Group Update
- Proposed Regulations Broadly Impacting Insurance Issuers Set to be Finalized
- Proposed Regulation Broadly Impacts Insurance Issuers
- Response to Massachusetts’ Application of Health Insurance Mandated Benefits to Travel Protection Products
- HIPAA Final Rule - What's a Covered Entity Supposed to Do?
- HIPAA Final Rule – What’s a Covered Entity Supposed to Do?
- Importers of Aluminum Extrusions from the People's Republic of China may be Subject to Increased Duty
- Noland v. Virginia Insurance Reciprocal: Powerful New Tools in West Virginia Bad Faith Defense
- Liability Insurers and Self-insurers Face Mandatory Medicare Reporting on July 1, 2009
- Subprime and the Insurance Fallout
- Letter to the Editor - Warranty Solutions for Manufacturers
- ALP: Different Flavors of Insurance
- URGENT CLIENT ADVISORY: Insurers, Brokers Agree to Settlement of Class Action Lawsuit Affecting Purchasers of Commercial Insurance since 1994.
- Service Contracts/Extended Warranties – A Regulatory Overview
- Proposed Regulations for Captive Risk Retention Groups
- AIK Comp Advisory
- OCC Bulletin 2004-56 Imposes New Responsibilities Upon Bank Management To Advise Their Directors Regarding Risks To Bank-Owned Life Insurance Programs
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Kentucky World Trade Association
- Bluegrass International Trade Association, Past President
- Kentucky Science & Technology Corporation
- Mary Queen of the Holy Rosary School, Past Board Member
- Barkley Woods Homeowners' Association, Past Board Member
- Kentucky Middle School Football Association, President
- Lexington Catholic Athletics Committee, Member
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Presenter: Sourcing from China - Strategies for Success, February 2011
Presenter: Exporting to a Foreign Country: Legal Considerations, 2011 Kentucky International Trade and Investment Conference, May 19, 2011
Presenter: Implementing the Agreement- Or, Making Sure You Get What You Bargained For, When You Bargained For It
Minnesota State Bar Association, April 2008
Presenter: The Net: Real or Imagined- How Guaranty Associations and Receivers Should Cooperate in Insurance Insolvencies
International Association of Insurance Receivers Annual Conference, February 2007
Presenter: Corporate Compliance, Insurance and Risk Management
Louisville Bar Association, June 2007
Presenter: International Trade Compliance in Global Employment Matters
Presenter: The Challenges of China as an Exporter - A U.S. Perspective
16th Annual Multilaw Conference, Peoples Republic of China, October 20, 2006
Presenter: Export Controls & Issues
International Update Series, December 2002
Presenter: Internationalization of U.S. Commerce
Rotary Club, May 1993
Presenter: Legal Aspects of International Trade
Kentucky World Trade Convention, 1991
Presenter: U.S. - Canadian Free Trade Agreement
Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce, 1989
Author: Aspatore Thought Leadership
Insurance Law 2008:Top Lawyers On Trends & Key Strategies for the Upcoming Year
Author: Subprime and the Insurance Fallout
Business Lexington: March 2008
Author: Different Flavors of Insurance
Louisville Business First: March 2007
Author: Legal Perspectives of Risk Management
Inside the Minds: Legal Strategies for Insurance, Aspatore Publishing, 2005
Author: D'Oench, Duhme: A New Tool for Insurance Receivers to Help Protect Policyholders, Creditors and the Public
Life Insurance Law Committee, Tort & Insurance Practice, ABA, Spring 2002
Author: Captive Insurance & Risk Retention Groups
Health & Wellness Magazine, Vol. 1, Issue 5
Author: The Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988
Legal Notes, December 1988
Co-Author: U.S. - Canadian Free Trade Agreement
B. Blair Crawford and Greg E. Mitchell
Going International - International Trade for the Nonspecialist, March 1989
Co-Author: 1992 Ogre or Opportunity
Greg E. Mitchell and Mike Campbell
Pittsburgh is our Business, September 1988