James P. Catalano
Jim is a member in the firm’s Business Litigation Practice Group in the Nashville office. He handles a variety of business disputes and complex commercial litigation ranging from contract and non-compete issues to discrimination and shareholder derivative litigation. Jim also has significant product liability experience. Having handled a wide variety of matters, he has significant jury experience involving construction litigation, healthcare, premises liability, professional liability, and transportation litigation across the state.
Recent Experience Includes:
- Advising officers and directors with respect to various business and litigation matters.
- Advising clients on commercially sensitive matters as well as proprietary matters including trade secrets and intellectual property matters.
- Serving as outside general counsel for business.
- Representing pharmaceutical companies in complex liability matters.
- Resolving cases that involve serious personal injury and death, as well as sensitive corporate matters that include business to business disputes.
- Representing businesses before, during and after litigation.
- Representing manufacturer in dealer franchise issues.
- Presenting arguments to various appellate courts.
- Working closely with corporate and in-house counsel in business cases, as well as directly with owners to achieve results that align with their business plan.
- Representation of general contractors and insurers, including numerous construction defect, payment and lien disputes
- Achieved dismissal of a case for a bank in post-merger shareholder derivative action claiming under valuation of shares.
- Successfully represented a business involved in a shareholder dispute involving a valuation of company shares.
- Represented a health care company in an equipment lease breach of contract.
- Represented a minority owner in a business litigation involving jointly held commercial property.
- Represented a business in a matter involving employee retirement plan dispute among shareholders.
- Represented a commercial motor carrier in multiple fatality litigation arising from alleged federal safety violations.
- Represented a product manufacturer and patent holder of design in a patent infringement matter.
- Successfully represented a component product manufacturer in a case involving burns allegedly cause by high-tech fabric.
- Represented a product manufacturer of household goods in a case involving alleged toxic exposure.
- Represented start up dealings with a foreign manufacturer of component goods.
- Represented a broker in a non-compete litigation with prior employee.
- Represented an attorney in a matter involving attorney sanctions.
- Represented plumbing sub-contractor in case involving numerous city school buildings.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Board Certified Civil Trial and Pre-Trial Specialist
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV®-Rated
- Nashville Business Journal's "Best of the Bar"
- Selected for Inclusion in Mid-South Super Lawyers®, 2010 - 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendents 2013-2017
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Rule 31 Mediator
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar, Commercial Litigation Group
- Belmont University College of Law, American Inns of Court (Master of the Bench)
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Nashville
- March of Dimes - Music City Chapter - Tennessee Chapter, Board Member & Legal Counsel
- Room at the Inn - Legal Clinic
- United Cerebral Palsy of Tennessee, Board Member
Non-FBT Publications and Events
- "Digital Business and The Internet of Things," Association of Corporate Counsel Tennessee (November 2016)
- "Ethics and Civility in Civil Litigation," Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association 50th Anniversary Meeting, Nashville, TN (September 2016)
- "From the Trenches: Dealing with Company Data," Association of Corporate Counsel, Memphis, TN (May 2015)
- "Keeping the Jury Pure," Barristers Educational Service (December 2013)
- "Liability Arising from Third Party Assaults and Other Criminal Acts," Barristers Educational Service, Nashville, TN (December 2013)
- "Slip and Fall and Other Accidents," National Business Institute, Nashville, TN (October 2013)
- "Looking Forward to Giving Testimony - Witness Deposition & Trial Testimony," ALFA Hospitality Law Practice Group Seminar, West Palm Beach, FL (May 2012)
- "Evidence in Trial Practice," "The Most Pesky Rules of Evidence: Hearsay and Relevance" and "Special Techniques for Examining Vocational/Economic Experts," Barristers Educational Service (December 2011)
- "Introduction to Trial Practice," Panelist, Tennessee Bar Association (March 2011)
- Negotiation and Settlement, "Computers Internet and Emails: Electronic Discovery and Evidence," Barristers Educational Service (December 2010)
- Trial Practice Essentials, "Computers, Internet and Emails: Electronic Discovery and Evidence," Barristers Educational Service (December 2010)
- Overcoming Common Challenges in Discovery Practice, "Maximizing Informal Discovery" and "Ethics," National Business Institute, Nashville, TN (August 2010)
- "How to Handle Common Ethical Pitfalls," National Business Institute, Nashville, TN (June 2010)
- "How to Handle Post-Trial Issues," National Business Institute, Nashville, TN (June 2010)
- "Slip and Fall and Other Accident Claims," Barristers Educational Service, Nashville, TN (December 2009)
- "Liability Arising from Third-Party Assaults and Other Criminal Acts," Barristers Educational Service, Nashville, TN (December 2009)
- "Conflicts, Confidentiality, and Cooperation: How to Protect Yourself, Your Client and Your Relationship with Opposing Counsel," Legal Ethics, Lorman, Nashville, TN (December 2009)
- "Ethical Concerns for Tennessee Attorneys: How to Handle Client Confidentiality, Client Funds and Client Lies," and M. Lee Smith Production, Nashville, TN (December 2009)
- "The Paralegal's Guide to Maximizing Informal Discovery," Institute for Paralegal Education, Nashville, TN (November 2009)
- "Informal Discovery," an M. Lee Smith Production, Nashville, TN (October 2009)