Jason M. Bergeron
Jason counsels companies and creditors as they seek to protect their capital and collateral, while also balancing the demands of day-to-day operations and long-term business viability. He practices in the firm’s Bankruptcy and Restructuring practice group where he represents lenders, trustees, unsecured creditors and debtors in commercial workouts and bankruptcies. Jason works on a wide range of bankruptcy litigation issues including preference and fraudulent conveyance actions, cash collateral and stay relief matters. Jason has also represented multiple high net-worth investors in complicated bankruptcy discharge objections arising from debtors’ fraudulent conduct.
Jason also maintains a commercial litigation practice where he works with companies and individuals to find the most effective solutions to business disputes both before and after litigation arises. He has trial experience, representing his clients in a variety of state and federal court and administrative licensing proceedings. His experience includes business sale disputes, securities fraud litigation, non-compete and trade secret disputes, corporate director and officer liability claims, insurance coverage disputes, and state licensing appeals.
Jason’s recent work experience includes:
- Representing investor client in pursuit of seven figure debt discharge objection arising from fraudulent conduct by a former partner.
- Representing loan guarantor agency in litigation matters across Tennessee.
- Lead counsel for purchaser of business in breach of sale agreement action, culminating in favorable mediation result.
- Representing investor client in a series of complex cases involving fiduciary duty and fraud claims against a co-investor.
- Representing investor client in pursuit of creditor claims throughout a complex, interrelated Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcies in multiple jurisdictions.
- Representation of large corporate client in dispute with former employee regarding enforcement of non-compete covenants, achieving early injunctive relief and favorable settlement shortly thereafter.
Before joining the firm, Jason gained extensive courtroom experience at a law firm in Nashville and as an Assistant Metropolitan Attorney, where he maintained a state and federal court practice defending governmental entities and private companies in civil rights, employment discrimination and contract disputes. Jason also practiced at a firm in Nashville, where he advised dozens of public boards of education clients on a daily basis regarding a myriad of governance and compliance issues.
Jason has been recognized as a 2012, 2013 and 2014 Mid-South Super Lawyers Rising Star. Jason has served on the Board of Directors for the Nashville Opera since 2013. He is active with Vanderbilt Alumni Association programs and is an avid supporter of Vanderbilt athletics. Jason is also the former Vice-President for the Board of Directors of Historic Nashville.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Mid-South Super Lawyers Rising Stars®, 2012, 2013
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Nashville Opera, Board member
- Vanderbilt University Alumni Interview Program
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Kappa Chapter Alumni Association- Past Vice-President
- Historic Nashville, Past Board member and Past Vice-President
- Vanderbilt National Commodore Club Young Alumni Board, Past Board member