Joseph J. Dehner
Joe concentrates his practice on multinational business and securities disputes. He counsels a wide variety of companies, domestic and foreign, on issues confronting global business, including transnational investment, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, global personnel matters, cross-border tax, Customs and trade issues, international business structures, distribution and agency agreements and the resolution of international disputes. He is business counsel to emerging technology and other firms. He represents companies, owners, investors, securities brokerage firms, brokers and public customers in disputes involving the securities laws and claims involving takeovers, fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence and securities statutes, and is a nationally recognized expert in structured settlements. In 1975 Joe joined Kyte Conlan Wulsin Vogeler in Cincinnati, Ohio, after a two-year federal appellate clerkship. That firm merged into Frost & Jacobs LLP in 1978, and became Frost Brown Todd LLC in 2000. Joe has chaired the firm's International Services Group for about 20 years.
- Global merger and acquisition work:
- Represented management team in $200 million second round of private equity purchase of legal support company.
- Purchase and sale of America’s largest spirits distillery by Trinidad company.
- Sale of U.S./U.K./Irish robotic monitoring business.
- Formation of first Ukrainian/U.S. offshore reinsurance company.
- International counseling of small to mid-sized multinational software businesses, automotive parts suppliers, global candy maker, angel and development stage entrepreneurs.
- Management of domestic and global distribution/agency/licensing agreements for medical products, software, machinery, food products and other goods and services.
- Formation of U.S. entities for businesses from over 30 countries.
- Joint venture and strategic alliance structuring in more than 20 countries.
- Global personnel counseling, including tax aspects for U.S. and non-U.S. persons and entities.
- Resolution of FCPA, USAID, Customs and OFAC claims against U.S. companies and Company policies and procedures to prevent bribery.
- Limited liability company formation and operating agreement negotiation.
- Defense of hostile takeover battle (including litigation over constitutionality of Ohio corporate law) and settlement on favorable terms to public company.
- Recovery of multiple $ millions in Ponzi scheme, boiler room and other securities class and group actions.
- Trial and settlement of over 200 securities disputes, including more than 100 FINRA arbitrations.
- 30-year representations in structured settlement industry; including service as expert witness for U.S. Government in successful structured settlement criminal prosecution.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers® 2005-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2008-2015, International Arbitration- Commercial; International Trade and Finance Law
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association (International)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- London Court of International Arbitration North American User Council
- Union Internationale des Avocats
- Adjunct Lecturer (International Business Transactions) University of Cincinnati Law Schools, 1993-96
- Multilaw (multinational association of 70+ independent law firms) – Executive Council member (2005-2012), Chairman of Business Development (2006-2011) ;
- ABA Task Force on Litigation and the World Wide Web, 2000, Co-Chair
- ABA International Litigation Committee, Vice-Chair, 2002-04
- Founding Chairman, Ohio State Bar Association International Law Committee; Member
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association, Member, 1996-2005
- Southern Ohio District Export Council, Chairman (2001-2010), Member
- Founding President, Cincinnati-Kharkiv Sister Cities Project
- Founding Chairman, Foreign Policy Leadership Council of Greater Cincinnati
- Co-organizer of Ohio-Ukraine Rule of Law Program
- Chairman, India-US Business Network
- Founding Chairman, European-American Chamber of Commerce of Greater Cincinnati (2007-08), Board member
- French-American Business Association, President (2006-07)
- Chairman, Advisory Committee on Model Ohio Jury Instructions for Securities Law (2010)
- Cincinnati/Hamilton County Public Library Foundation Director
- Cincinnati Ballet, Trustee
- Co-Founder, Summer Camp Reading
- Princeton University, Trustee,1970-74
- Ohio Historical Society, Trustee, 1974-78
- Cincinnati Planning Commission, 1982-83
- Charter Committee of Cincinnati, Chairman (1982-86)
- Literary Club, Member
- DeToqueville Society/United Way, Member
- Past Civic Charitable Boards - Cincinnati Preservation Association, Miami Purchase Preservation Fund, Queen City Housing Corporation, Greater Cincinnati Tennis Association, Princeton Club of Southern Ohio, Queen City Foundation, Episcopal Community Services Foundation
Recent Blog Posts
- What Financial Institutions Need To Know About IRS Form 1042-S
- China stakes its claim on regulating Internet Advertising - Draft rules issued –
- Foreign Direct Investment Becomes Easier – SAFE Circular 13
- Overseas Investment Management – New Rules Issued
- Door opens for 100% foreign ownership of Chinese hospitals on pilot basis
- Event Recap: Mastering the USA/Mexico Supply Chain
- Compliance with Transfer Pricing Rules - A new way to bridge differences between the IRS and Customs –
- Blocking “Unfair Competition” from China - A new weapon for US Industry
- China and Securities Regulation-- It’s getting tougher
- New Taxes on Foreign Companies Another Challenge to Profitability in China
- China stakes its claim on regulating Internet Advertising - Draft rules issued
- Alert to Foreign Owners of U.S. Businesses
- Door opens for 100% foreign ownership of Chinese hospitals on pilot basis
- Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation effective July 1, 2014
- Unlocking America
- Floods, Earthquakes, Other Disasters and the Automotive Supply Chain
- The UK Bribery Act - Radical New Anti Corruption Law?
- Application Guidelines Released for the Therapeutic Discovery Tax Credit
- Opportunity Bulletin - Federal Income Tax Credits and Grants for Small to Mid-sized Biotech Companies
- International Communiqué: Sourcing in China for China - Standard Terms and Conditions for Chinese Purchase Orders
- Hot Topics for the Distilled Spirits Industry
- International Communiqué: Global Privacy Protection - How to Comply with European Rules
- International Communiqué: What Foreign Account Holders Need to Know from the IRS Before June 30 Deadline
- 3D Trademarks - Possible in China
- China’s Supreme Court sides with Foreign Owner of Famous Consumer Product, despite lack of Trademark Protection
- Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for U.S. Taxpayers Living Abroad
- New UK Corporate Manslaughter Law heightens duties of directors of UK companies
- China Adopts Its First Major Labor Contract Law
- Europe – Growing Opportunities for US Exporters
- China’s Auto Market – Key for Global Success
- ALP: What does China mean to U.S. auto businesses?
- The 10th China International Fair for Investment and Trade
- Russia Adopts Privacy Protection Legislation
- International Communiqué: Russian Ruble Convertible from July 1
- The Clash of Global Privacy and Whistleblower Rules: How to implement a lawful whistleblowing system in EU countries
- Peru-USA Trade Promotion Agreement Signed
- The Clash of Global Privacy and Whistleblower Rules
- P&G Center Confirms Costa Rica as Favorable Choice for Global Companies
- What’s changed since 9.11 in the Global Movement of People and Goods?
- Privacy & Information Security Client Advisory
- Global Privacy – Japan Sets its Rules for Personal Data
- International Communiqué
- International Communique Fall 2004
- Privacy Update
- ALP: I don’t need written agreements with my foreign agents and distributors, do I?
- Global Privacy Protection – No One Set of Rules
- Doing Business with Colombia
- How U.S. Companies can Expand into Europe: Zoom in on Ireland
- ROI Europe: From Export to Operating Locally
- Automotive and Mexico - Mastering the USA/Mexico Supply Chain
- BEYOND THE CHINA HEADLINES
- 2013 Transatlantic Economic Outlook Summit
- Frost Brown Todd Annual CLE
- MULTILAW: Business in the Americas Conference
- M&A China Webcast – So you want to do an M&A deal in China – Now What?
- Europe, Debt and the Euro: What’s really going on, and what does it mean for the United States?
- Frost Brown Todd Japan Desk Seminar Series: Supply Chain Management in the Global Automotive Market
- Optimizing Your Business in China 2011 Seminar
- China Revealed: Webinar and LIVE Seminar Series
- Webcast: Decision Points on your Evolving Investment in China
- Sourcing from India - Strategies for Success
- Financing Global Expansion
- Supplying the Global Renewable Energy Market: Export Tools & Resources for Success
- 37 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers In America® 2015
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2013
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Contribute to Book on Limited Liability Companies
- 44 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 15 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2012
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 41 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2011
- Bobby Guy Awarded Turnaround of the Year
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Receive Recognition in 2010 Super Lawyers® Corporate Counsel Edition
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Joint Ventures in United States, Practical Law/Thomson Reuters (2015)
“Roundsourcing,” a chapter of International Law for CEO’s, 2013, published by ExecSense, available at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CC347KW.
Lecturer on international business topics (once a month average)
Over 50 posts at www.fbtchina.com
Author of about an article a month on international business
Co-author: Structured Settlements & Periodic Payment Judgments (1986, updated twice a year – American Lawyer Media)