John R. Crockett, III
John is Chairman of the Firm (2009-present) and responsible for driving the Firm's growth and strategic planning, merger opportunities, ancillary business ventures, and new business opportunities. He also serves on the Firm’s Executive and Compensation Committees.
John's practice focuses primarily in the areas of products liability, mass disaster litigation, and commercial litigation. In the areas of products liability and mass disaster litigation, his clients include manufacturers of electromechanical appliances and devices, building materials, furniture, bedding products and other consumer products which often are consumed in and blamed for the spread of fires.
John is an experienced first chair trial lawyer, and deals regularly with complex business matters and issues arising in the fields of electrical, chemical and mechanical engineering, metallurgy, fire cause and origin, accident reconstruction, and accounting.
John is both a business litigation and a fire/mass tort lawyer who has represented clients in:
- 2003 Rhode Island Station Night Club litigation
- 2003 NV Mountain View Recreation Center fire in Pahrump, Nevada
- 2004 arson fire at a Greenville, South Carolina Comfort Inn
- 2006 Harlan County, Kentucky Darby coal mine explosion
- 2006 Mizpah Hotel fire in Reno, Nevada
These cases are the latest in a fire litigation practice which started with the Happy Land Social Club fire in the Bronx, New York, and has included large warehouse fires in Erie, Pennsylvania and Jackson, Tennessee, the West Pharmaceutical Plant explosion in Kinston, North Carolina, and the CTA Acoustics Plant explosion in Corbin, Kentucky.
General Electric Company: Since 1993, John has served as counsel for the largest major appliance manufacturer in the United States, General Electric Company, in litigation resulting from alleged defects and failures in appliances and electrical devices. He has represented General Electric in over 30 states.
LG&E Energy and E.On U.S.: For a number of years John has represented this large public utility in connection with fire litigation, electrical contact cases, and other tort claims.
John also practices extensively in the areas of commercial and construction litigation. He handles a wide array of commercial contract disputes, and represents clients in litigation arising from alleged defective construction of residential housing and commercial projects.
In 2009-10, John was lead trial counsel for a team of FBT business and litigation lawyers who defended FBT’s client, a large multinational company, from claims of breach of warranty regarding highly sophisticated equipment employing cutting edge technology. In arbitration, the client’s customer sought over $90 million in damages. Through discovery, motion practice, and a nine-week trial before a panel of three arbitrators, the FBT team brought home an award of zero damages against its client.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, 2008-2017
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected for Inclusion in Kentucky Super Lawyers® for Personal Injury Defense: Products, 2010-2016
- Mentioned in Benchmark Litigation® Kentucky, 2011-2012
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Legal Outlook: 2017 Is a Year of Dramatic Opportunity
- GLI welcomes new 2017 officers and board members
- Legal Practice Makes Profits in 2015
- Why Louisville's mayor thinks this GE-Haier news is good for the city
- Leadership Louisville Center announces 2016 board of directors
- Frost Brown Todd partner becomes ABA deputy executive director
- INVESTKentucky Equity Conference Returns to Louisville June 5
- Greater Louisville Inc. Names 2011 Board
- FBT Pittsburgh Gearing up for Expansion
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Frost Brown Todd Adds to Energy Practice with New Office in Pittsburgh
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 18 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- Frost Brown Todd Names Heather L. Wilson Member-in-Charge of Indianapolis Office
- 50 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 52 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 21 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2014
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- John Crockett Named Chair of Legal Aid's 2012 Justice for All Campaign
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2012
- 40 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2011
- Frost Brown Todd's Louisville Litigation Practice Recognized as "Highly Recommended Local Litigation Firm"
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
- 32 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2010
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Leadership Louisville Center, Board of Directors, 2009-present; Leadership Louisville Center Executive Committee, 2014-present
- Greater Louisville, Inc., Board of Directors, 2009-present; GLI Executive Committee, 2010-11 and 2014-15
- Downtown Louisville Development Corporation, Downtown Plan Steering Committee, 2013-present
- Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2014-present
- Spalding University Advisory Council, 2014-present
- 21st Century Parks, Steering Committee, 2009-2013
- Family and Children's Place f/k/a Family and Children First, Board Member, 2003-2010; President, 2006-2008
- Bingham Child Guidance Center, Former Board Member
- Harmony Landing Country Club, President, 2000-2001; Member of the Board, 1998-2001, 2004-2008