Joseph B. Miller
Joe is a member of the corporate & business department of Frost Brown Todd. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions, the formation of private investment funds and general business advice. He has extensive experience with M&A transactions involving both public and private companies and ranging in size from under $100,000 to multiples of $1,000,000,000, with particular emphasis on small and middle-market private leveraged buy-outs (LBOs). In addition to his transactional expertise, he also regularly assists entrepreneurs, startups and larger, closely-held companies on a range of general business matters.
Before joining the firm, Joe was an associate with Ropes & Gray LLP in Boston, MA.
Joe is a cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School, where he served as Managing Editor of the Harvard Environmental Law Review. He holds summa cum laude bachelor’s degrees in history and in economics from the University of Kentucky.
- Representation of private equity sponsors in business acquisitions in a variety of industries
- Formation of private investment funds ranging in size from under $1,000,000 to $10,000,000,000
- Representation of startup companies in financial services, healthcare and medical devices, consumer products, internet and related technology, and other industries
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association (Chair of Corporate Section, 2012)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- Fiscal Cliff Deal Eliminates Taxes on Certain Sales of "Qualified Small Business Stock"
- New Legislation Eliminates Securities Law Prohibition on General Solicitation and Authorizes Crowdfunding
- Tax Relief Act of 2010 Potentially Eliminates Federal Taxation of Gains on Investments in Qualified Small Business Stock Made in 2011
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Junior Achievement of Kentuckiana, Board Member
- Waldorf School of Louisville, Board Member, Treasurer
- Leadership Louisville, Class of 2013
- Harvard Club of Louisville
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville (YPAL)
Non-FBT Publications and Events
“Securities Law Issues for Limited Liability Companies” chapter in Limited Liability Companies in Kentucky Handbook, 3d ed., published by the University of Kentucky Office of Continuing Legal Education (co-authored with Alan K. MacDonald)
Mergers and Acquisitions: Nuts and Bolts. National Business Institute Seminar, March 2012
Limited Liability Companies. National Business Institute Seminar, June 2011
Helping Your Client Buy or Sell a Small-to-Medium Sized Business. National Business Institute Seminar, March 2011