Joshua S. Rosenblatt
As a Managing Associate in the firm's Nashville office, Josh is considered a trusted advisor in the financial technology (fintech) industry. He also serves as the head of the firm's blockchain team. Additionally, he is the managing director of BlackLine Advisory Group, a fintech consulting firm and ancillary business of Frost Brown Todd.
Josh's prominent work in the fintech industry includes representing businesses ranging from public companies to start-ups with the following:
- Acquisitions and divestitures
- Strategic business transactions
- Bitcoin and Blockchain technology
- Initial Coin Offerings "ICOs"
- Smart contracts
- Contract negotiations
- Operational matters
- Money service business & Money transmitter issues
- Visa and MasterCard rules
Josh also has extensive experience representing the health care industry and other industries in general corporate matters. He advises clients on issues affecting private equity, joint ventures and start-ups. He also provides guidance to clients regarding securities law compliance and periodic reporting by the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Engagements
- Undisclosed acquisition of blockchain company, with purchase price in Pre-ICO rights - Counsel for the acquiring company.
- Undisclosed ICO launch - Counsel for planned token offering.
- $5 million cryptocurrency hedge fund launch - Counsel for the fund.
- International Expansion and Joint Venture - Counsel for the joint venture.
Financial Technology Engagements
- $340 million revenue systems company merger - Lead associate counsel for the acquiring company.
- $226 million payment processing company acquisition - Associate counsel for the acquiring company.
- $26 million merchant portfolio acquisition - Lead associate counsel for the acquiring company.
- $12 million point of sale solutions ISO acquisition - Lead associate counsel for the selling company.
- $750 million health care company merger - Lead associate counsel for the target company.
- $500 million debt offering - Associate counsel for the issuer.
- $120 million hospital acquisition - Lead associate counsel for the acquiring company.
- $40 million venture capital portfolio creation - Lead associate counsel for the venture capital fund.
Highlights & Recognitions
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chamber of Digital Commerce, Member
- Electronic Transaction Association, Membership Committee, Member
- Nashville, Tennessee and American Bar Associations, Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Leadership Healthcare, Member
Recent Blog Posts
- Blockchain Policy Update: LabCFTC Releases “A CFTC Primer on Virtual Currencies”
- Bitcoin ATMs: What They Are and How They Work
- A Regulatory Primer for Bitcoin ATM Operators – Federal Law & Regulations
- A Regulatory Primer for Bitcoin ATM Operators – State Law & Regulations
- Legal Issues of Owning and Operating a Bitcoin ATM Business
- Asian Regulatory Actions on ICOs: Optimism Remains Despite New Regulations
- 2017 Shaping Up to be a Busy Year for State-Level Blockchain Legislation
- Launching an ICO? Follow This Advice from the SEC
- FinCEN Cracks-Down on Yet Another Alleged Illegitimate Virtual Currency Exchange, Raising More Concerns for Legitimate Exchanges
- SEC Addresses ICO Bubble, But Leaves Key Questions Unanswered
- Tennessee State University, NBIC separate business incubation missions
- How the legal industry is adopting Ethereum-based smart contracts
- National law firm Frost Brown Todd accepting bitcoin for payment
- Nashville-linked RecordGram to launch $300MM TUNE token sale
- Lawyers Can Accept Bitcoin—But Must Exchange ASAP, Nebraska Says
- What Is Bitcoin and Should You Buy It?
- More Law Firms Are Accepting Bitcoin Payments
- Is this the next financial scandal waiting to happen?
- Law Firm Now Accepting Bitcoins
- Venture Notes - 15 August 2017
- ICO's and the Fed's two minute warning
- With Nashville tech players aboard, Po.et Foundation reports $10MM funding
- Launching an ICO? Follow This Advice from the SEC
- Advisors: FBT attorney Josh Rosenblatt deep-dives Blockchain
- It's not just Bitcoin anymore...
- Surcharging ahead
- A Cautionary Tale For Money Service Businesses: How Violating The Bank Secrecy Act Could Cost Millions
- Digital Asset enters healthcare as blockchain questions grow
- 40 under 40: Josh Rosenblatt, Frost Brown Todd
- Health conference draws global healthcare, technology and blockchain leaders to Nashville
- Exploring the Mystery behind Blockchain
- What Does Blockchain Mean to the Financial Industry?
- Gem founder ranks NVille healthcare sector as a key blockchain market
- What Does The First CFPB Order On Data Security Compliance Signal?
- Regulate in Haste, Repent At Leisure, Bank Lobbyists Warned
- Inside money laundering: risks, concerns and industry fault lines
- FinTech: Iroquois Capital's payments startup doesn't rule-out capraise
- Processors Sued As ‘Choke Point’ Echoes Rattle Industry
- Will Apple Pay change the way you use your credit cards?
- Frost Brown attorneys help launch payments sector consultancy
- Frost Brown Todd's electronic payments consulting firm has Visa, PayPal onboard
- New MasterCard Rules on Fee Disclosures May Catch Many Payment Processors Unaware
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Ben Schulman Center at Vanderbilt University, Executive Board Member
- Nashville Business Incubation Center, Board Member
- Safe Haven Family Shelter, Board Member
- Oasis Center, Former Board Member
- Community Nashville, Former Board Member
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Panelist, "Investing in Digital Assets: Digital Currency Token Sales and ICO Funding Models," Distributed: Health 2017, September 26, 2017
Blockchain in Healthcare: Vanderbilt Law School, October 2016
A Legislative Definition of Blockchain: Capitol Hill, October 2016
How Blockchain Will Affect HIPAA: Distributed: Health, October 2016
Bitcoin, Blockchain & the Law: Distributed: Health, October 2016
Blockchain, Healthcare & the Law: Belmont Law School, September 2016
EMV - Impacts of the Electronic Payment Rule Changes: CLE, October 2015
Electronic Payment Industry: What's Hot and How to Get Paid, Tennessee Bar Association, March 2015
An Inside View of the Electronic Payments World, Association of Corporate Counsel, Kentucky Chapter, November 2014