Kara S. Eaton
Kara concentrates her practice in business litigation with a particular emphasis on serving the needs of the energy industry. She has represented numerous oil and gas exploration and production companies in diverse litigation matters, including contract disputes, lease disputes, quiet title actions, and mechanics’ lien claims. Kara’s experience also includes handling oil and gas transactional, due diligence, and title matters in the Marcellus Shale.
In addition to her work in the energy industry, Kara has broad litigation experience. She frequently represents construction industry clients in breach of contract and warranty disputes, mechanics’ lien claims, and in collection matters. In addition, she has significant experience handling tort and insurance defense claims, including toxic tort, products liability, and medical malpractice actions. She has also coordinated the defense of clients facing asbestos claims across multiple jurisdictions and was instrumental in developing and implementing successful defense strategies in those actions.
Kara graduated cum laude from Washington & Jefferson College in 2004. She received her J.D. from Duquesne University School of Law in 2007.
- Representing an oil and gas exploration and production company in large-scale oil and gas lease litigation brought by landowner coalition.
- Defending an oil and gas exploration and production company against mechanics’ lien claims asserted by subcontractor.
- Defending general contractor in construction action involving breach of contract and breach of warranty claims.
- Represented an oil and gas exploration and production company in private arbitration involving breach of lease allegations.
- Represented multiple oil and gas exploration and production companies in a variety of lease dispute matters.
- Represented an oil and gas exploration and production company in contract dispute involving alleged breach of a Participation Agreement.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of equipment manufacturer in asbestos case involving novel legal issues relating to extension of duty to warn to new class of defendants.
- Worked with client’s in-house engineers and experts to develop defense to asbestos claims involving client’s product line which had never before been the subject of an asbestos lawsuit, resulting in summary judgment for client.
- Advised oil and gas companies on title matters and rendered title opinions for oil and gas properties in the Marcellus Shale.
- Successfully defended physicians in multiple medical malpractice cases.
- Successfully defended health care provider under contract to prison against numerous civil rights claims brought under 42 U.S.C. Sections 1983 and 1985.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Who’s Who in Energy, Pittsburgh Business Times, 2016
Memberships & Affiliations
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Co-Presenter, “Nuisance Claims in the Oil and Gas Arena,” 9th Annual Oil and Gas Law Colloquium, Washington, PA, June 2017.
Co-Presenter, “Energy-Related Nuisance Claims: Air Emissions, Noise, Earthquakes, Water Contamination and Health”, Ohio Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar, March 2017.
Co-Presenter, "The Growing Irritation of Energy-Related Nuisance Claims," EMLF’s 2016 Kentucky Law Mineral Law Conference, Lexington, KY, October 2016.