Kelly L. Frey
Kelly assists clients in corporate transactions and corporate compliance. He represents companies in various information technology and intellectual property transactions, including licensing, outsourcing, technology law, and vendor relationship and management. He is passionate about films and represents several indie film production and media companies. He also helps with corporate governance matters and assists companies in creating sustainable, cost effective and defensible internal controls to mitigate compliance risks.
In the technology sector, Kelly is one of less than 10 attorneys in private practice to be named a Fellow in the World Technology Network (selected by over 1,000 internationally recognized experts and futurists who are current Fellows for innovative legal work recognized to be of "the greatest likely long-term significance"). Kelly is the author of Frey on Technology Transactions and dozens of other books and articles on technology and law.
In compliance matters, Kelly serves as general counsel to the Board of the Ethics and Compliance Officers Association and is on the Advisory Board for Lorman Education Service's Certificate of Accounting Compliance.
Kelly recently started producing films and broadcast programs. He served as president of the 2014-2015 Nashville Film Festival (one of the top 10 festivals in the U.S.) and is on the Board of Governors of the historic Franklin Theatre (the best 300-seat music venue in the world) and the Board of Directors for Studio Tenn (Nashville's professional theatre company).
General Counsel to the Board of the Ethics and Compliance Officer Association
Responsible for the creation and implementation of anti-corruption system for Fortune 10 technology company for over 30,000 sales channel partners, worldwide
Lead counsel for $400 million information technology infrastructure outsourcing for the North American operations of international auto manufacturer
Lead counsel for disaster recovery outsourcing deal for headquarter location of Fortune 100 financial services company
Lead counsel for enterprise-wide, mission-critical software licensing for fortune 500 manufacturer and marketer of prestigious skincare, makeup, fragrance and hair care products
Counsel to one of Fortune 100 "fastest growing companies"
Counsel to Fortune 1,000 payment processing company
Counsel and Associate Producer for The Identical: a feature length film released in September 2014 and Winner of the coveted Audience Award at the 2014 Nashville Film Festival; Counsel for feature film Hoovey; and Executive Producer for feature documentary Eating You Alive.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Super Lawyers®, 2011-2014, Only attorney selected in 2013 Mid-South Super Lawyers in Information Technology and Outsourcing
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2007-2017; Lawyer of the Year, Technology Law, 2013; Lawyer of the Year, Information Technology Law, 2015 and 2017
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell®, Top-Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, 2013
- Nashville Bar Journal, “Best of the Bar”
Memberships & Affiliations
- Nashville Bar Association, Business Law Committee, Co-Chair
- Nashville Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Editions of Mid-South Super Lawyers® and Mid-South Rising Stars®
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- Frost Brown Todd member Kelly L. Frey co-authors new authoritative book on corporate malfeasance
- 8 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Mid-South Super Lawyers®; Two Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- Nationwide Release of 'The Identical'
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- Kelly Frey Joins Frost Brown Todd’s Expanding Nashville Team
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Nashville Film Festival, Board, Vice President 2013-2014, President 2014-2015
- Historic Franklin Theatre, Board of Governors
- Studio Tenn, Board of Directors
- Lawyers and Professionals for the Arts, Volunteer
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Attorney Kelly Frey Blends Law, Technology, Film in Distinguished Career," article published on the Nashville City Club website, May 2016
Frey on Technology Transactions (DataTrace)
Application Service Provider and Software as a Service Agreements (Aspatore)
Patent License Agreements (Aspatore)
Joint Development Agreements (Aspatore)
Ethics & Compliance Issues (ExecuSense)