Kevin N. McMurray
Kevin is a member of Frost Brown Todd LLC and is chair of the environmental practice group. He is experienced in a broad range of environmental programs. His practice focuses on environmental litigation, defense of environmental enforcement actions, and counseling on environmental issues arising in business, transactions and regulatory matters.
Kevin has defended a number of state and federal civil and criminal enforcement actions and private party litigation involving the Clean Air Act (CAA), the Clean Water Act (CWA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Underground Storage Tank Act (UST) and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA).
Kevin has substantial experience involving the investigation and cleanup of contaminated sites under state brownfield programs and pursuant to negotiated administrative and judicial consent orders. He routinely counsels buyers, sellers, and lenders on environmental considerations in real estate transactions and business acquisitions and divestitures, and has significant experience in structuring and financing “Brownfields” transactions. Kevin conducts environmental compliance audits and assists businesses in the development and implementation of environmental management systems and procedures.
Kevin counsels oil and gas companies on environmental and regulatory issues associated with shale gas mining and fracking operations, as well as processing and transportation of the gas and other products by mid-stream service providers.
Litigation and Enforcement Defense
Defense of numerous state and federal air pollution enforcement actions, including Title V and state air permit, stack testing, emissions and reporting violations.
Defense of state and federal enforcement actions against power plants for alleged Title V permit and air emission violations, and violations related to operation of continuous emission monitoring systems (CEMS) and Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR) requirements.
Defense of nationwide EPCRA, SPCC and UST enforcement action by EPA against a telecommunications company.
Defense of state and federal civil and criminal enforcement actions involving oil and chemical spills, air emissions, wastewater discharges, data reporting, and waste management practices.
Defense of EPA investigation and enforcement action against regional hospital system relating to management of waste pharmaceuticals and other hazardous waste.
Defense of Army Corps action alleging violations of wetland and stream permitting requirements related to hospital construction project and negotiation of acceptable conditions in CWA Section 401 and 404 permits.
Defense and prosecution of private cost recovery actions involving former gasoline service stations, petroleum bulk storage facilities, and dry cleaners, including successful actions under Ohio's Voluntary Action Program (VAP).
Defense of state-wide enforcement action involving management of hazardous waste at multiple optical manufacturing establishments.
Represented clients in challenges to solid waste flow control and disposal fee ordinances in Ohio.
Appeal of air and wastewater discharge permits and other final agency actions to the Ohio Environmental Review Appeals Commission.
Defense of enforcement actions by sewer districts alleging violations of pretreatment requirements by industrial users and claims for damage to and interference with operation of the POTW.
Defense of PRPs and pursuit of contribution actions in multi-party Superfund sites across the country.
Defense and prosecution of claims against environmental consultants alleging professional negligence and similar claims.
Real Estate and Corporate Transactions
Negotiation of purchase/sale agreements and managed environmental due diligence in acquisition of numerous industrial facilities, including chemical manufacturing, food and beverage production, metal plating, hospital and other health care systems, bulk terminals, casket manufacturing, flavor and fragrance manufacturing, and building products.
Assist clients in acquisition and redevelopment of contaminated properties in various states, including Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Tennessee and Pennsylvania.
Successful environmental remediation and development projects under Ohio's Voluntary Action Program (VAP) and other state brownfield programs, including financing under state and federal grant programs.
Substantial involvement in the investigation and remediation of former manufactured gas plant (MGP) sites.
Environmental Regulatory and Counseling and Audits
Conducted multi-media environmental audits of various industrial facilities, including hospitals, a steel mill, chemical manufacturing, metal finishing and plating, building products, marine terminal, food and beverage production, and wood and metal casket manufacturing facilities.
Assisted clients in structuring and performing audits and making voluntary disclosures under EPA’s Audit Policy and similar state immunity laws and policies for potential violations of EPCRA, CAA, CWA and RCRA, and other programs to minimize potential enforcement and assessment of civil penalties.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation - Environmental, 2005-2017; "Lawyer of the Year," 2013
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers, 2004-2017
- 2011 Cincinnati Environmental Lawyer of the Year
- Chambers USA, Natural Resources & Environment, 2008-2017
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
Memberships & Affiliations
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee, Past Chair
- Ohio State Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- Air & Waste Management Association
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- U.S. EPA Continues its Focus on Chemical Risks –
- EPA Takes Major Step in Climate Action Plan
- U.S. EPA Issues Final Rule On Regulation Of Solvent-Contaminated Wipes Under RCRA
- U.S. EPA Solicits Public Comment on 2014-2016 National Enforcement Initiatives
- U.S. EPA Extends Deadline for Chemical Data Reporting (CDR) Submission
- Court Significantly Curtails Ohio EPA’s Cost Recovery Authority
- Abandoned Service Stations – An Often Overlooked Ohio Program
- New Requirements Under the SPCC Rule to Become Effective January 14, 2010
- Greenhouse Gas Monitoring and Reporting Regulation - How You Can Prepare Now
- U.S. EPA Proposes Standards for Management of Pharmaceutical Wastes
- ALP: I am about to commence a commercial development project. What environmental issues should I consider with my contractor?
- DHS Amends Chemical Facility Rules
- ALP: I am buying property. Should I perform an environmental investigation even though the current operation does not use any hazardous materials?
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Chambers USA®
- 29 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars for 2017
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 33 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 11 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 65 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Chambers USA®
- 37 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 63 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Chambers USA®
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 67 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2013
- 17 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named 2013 “Lawyers of the Year”
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 44 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 15 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2012
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 57 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2011 Chambers USA®
- 41 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2011
- 15 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as 2011 “Lawyers of the Year”
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
- 54 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2010 Chambers USA
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- LifePoint Solutions, Former Board President and Board Member
- Greater Cincinnati Behavioral Health Services, Board Member
- Cincinnati Parks Foundation, Trustee
- The First Tee of Greater Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky, Board Member
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Update on Environmental Issues Facing Hospitals," Greater Healthcare Safety Committee Presentation
"Staying on Top of Environmental Considerations in Land Use" National Business Institute
"EPA's All Appropriate Inquiries Rule," Cincinnati Bar Association
“Working Your Way Through Environmental Issues,” Ohio ICSC Conference
“Evaluating Your Investment: Environmental Due Diligence,” Ohio Chamber of Commerce
“The EPA’s At My Door?” Cincinnati Bar Association
"Brownfield Development Incentives," Area Development Magazine, co-authors, Chris Habel and Greg Ripley
"Ask the Legal Professional - Environmental Investigations in Real Property Acquisitions," Cincinnati Business Courier