Mekesha H. Montgomery
Mekesha is a member of Frost Brown Todd’s Labor and Employment Practice Group and serves as the member-in-charge of the Nashville office. She represents management in the areas of employment discrimination and wrongful discharge, union negotiations and arbitration. She has successfully represented companies defending against class and collective actions alleging employment discrimination and wage and hour violations, including class actions under the FMLA and collective actions under the FLSA. She regularly provides advice and counsel to management responding to union-initiated grievances and has represented management in numerous labor arbitrations. She also has significant experience dealing with issues arising from covenants not to compete.
- Obtained jury verdict for employer in sexual harassment, gender discrimination, age discrimination and retaliation case.
- Enforced individual employee arbitration agreement resulting in prompt settlement of previously highly contested case.
- Settled on the eve of trial for nuisance value case where plaintiff had previously demanded a six-figure settlement after winning several key pre-trial motions.
- Obtained preliminary injunction against two former employees violating covenants not to compete.
- Defeated conditional certification motion for putative FLSA collective action.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in case of first impression in Kentucky state court construing wage statute.
- Obtained dismissal of case after successfully enforcing arbitration agreement in age discrimination case.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer in intentional infliction of emotional distress case.
- Obtained order from United States District Court for D.C. Circuit vacating NLRB order reinstating employee who published newsletter critical to management.
- Obtained orders in two different cases denying class certification based on alleged FMLA violations.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer in age, gender and disability discrimination case.
- Obtained defense verdict in favor of employer at trial in whistleblower action.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Mid-South Super Lawyers®, 2012-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Employment Law - Management, 2013-2017
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio Bar Associations
- Nashville Bar Association
- Lawyers' Association for Women, Marion Griffin Chapter
- Women Presidents' Organization
Recent Blog Posts
- Overtime Regulations Struck Down: The Department of Labor is forbidden from enforcing new salary threshold
- Tennessee Supreme Court Reverses Decision in Hannan v. Alltel Publishing
- EEOC’s Proposed Rule Favors Employee Wellness Programs
- U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Invalidates Over 1,000 National Labor Board Decisions
- An Old Law Learns New Tricks: The NLRA's Application to Non-unionized Employers
- Is Obesity a Disability? The Effect of the 2008 Amendments to the ADA
- Fighting False Claims Under the False Claims Act: Employer Options in Defending Claims by Employees Under the False Claims Act
- New Pro Union Regulations Announced
- The Tennessee Supreme Court Expands Workers' Compensation Statute of Limitations
- An Ounce of Prevention: Training and Policies Can Help Stop Sexual Harassment Before It Starts and Could Limit Your Company’s Exposure If It Does Happen.
- The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994
- ALP: I have employees currently serving on active duty in the military. What do I need to know about the recent changes to the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act?
- Nashville Bar Foundation adds 32 new fellows
- Minors, umpires union reach agreement
- Skanska hosts Women's Power Breakfast
- Habitat for Humanity names new Board
- The Boss: Mekesha Montgomery, Frost Brown Todd
- Frost Brown Todd's Mekesha Montgomery on farm life, working moms
- Middle TN female execs give their take on 'Lean In'
- MiLB and Umpires Reach New Agreement
- TN landscaping company sues migrant workers
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Editions of Mid-South Super Lawyers® and Mid-South Rising Stars®
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 8 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Mid-South Super Lawyers®; Two Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- Six Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Mid-South Super Lawyers®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- Six Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2012 Mid-South Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars®
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- Member-in-Charge of Nashville Office, Mekesha H. Montgomery Recognized in Nashville Business Journal’s Women of Influence
- Mekesha Montgomery Named Member-In-Charge of Nashville
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Greater Nashville Habitat for Humanity, Board of Directors, Administration Committee
- Rotary Club of Nashville