Michael (Mike) L. Eckerle
Mike has nearly 40 years of experience as general business counsel, primarily in the areas of corporate law, business transactions, manufacturing, securities and banking laws. He has helped structure, negotiate and document the purchase and sale of companies in a wide range of industries. He counsels closely-held businesses on organizational and governance matters, including drafting of equity holder buy-sell agreements, employment contracts and non-compete covenants. Mike advises on a broad spectrum of contract matters, including manufacturing, distribution and sales representative agreements, and consults on a variety of general business issues. He regularly assists in restructuring projects and business succession planning, and often receives referrals to resolve shareholder and other ownership disputes. Mike's practice also includes the representation of both lenders and borrowers on loan transactions.
For more than 20 years, Mike served as the chair of the business services group of a former firm and was later the head of its manufacturing legal team.
- $1.2 billion sale of safety products manufacturer.
- Special counsel for Indiana statutory matters in connection with $271 million tender offer.
- $17 million refinancing for an apartment complex.
- $8 million sale of an auto dealership.
- Multimillion-dollar spin-off of division of a tool and die manufacturer.
- Purchase of assets of a multimillion-dollar software company.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Indiana Super Lawyers®
- Alumnus of Distinction, Jasper High School, 2008
- Indianapolis Bar Association Board of Managers Award, 2000
- Indianapolis Association of Wabash Men Man of the Year, 1997
- First Annual David W. Peck Award Winner, Wabash College, 1974
- Phi Beta Kappa
Memberships & Affiliations
- Venture Club of Indiana
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Board of Managers, Vice President, 2001; Chair, Business Law Section, 1985; Member, Business Law Section
- Indiana State Bar Association, Member, House of Delegates, 1984-present; Member, Business Law Section
- American Bar Association, Member, Business Law Section
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation, Fellow; Board Member, 1999-2001
- Indiana State Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Bay Landing Neighborhood Association, President 2008-present
- Eagle Creek Park Foundation, Director 1996-2005 and President 2000-2002
- Eagle Creek Park Advisory Committee 2009-present
- Indiana Deaf Camps Foundation, Director 1998-2000
- Christamore House, Director 1990-1996 and President 1992-94
- Country Club of Indianapolis, Director and Secretary 2006-08
- Phi Delta Theta Advisory Council, Wabash College 2005-09
- Indianapolis Association of Wabash Men, Director 1987-93
- Pike Youth Soccer Club, Inc., Director and Secretary 1990-94
- Northern Estates Homeowners Association 1979-92, President 1982
- St. Michael’s Catholic Church
- National Audubon Society, Amos Butler Chapter
- Opportunity Indianapolis (Stanley K. Lacy Alumni Program, 1987)
Non-FBT Publications and Events
“Representing the Business Client During Turbulent Economic Times,” Indiana State Bar Association, Speaker 2009
"Current Issues in Banking Law 1991", Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF)/Indiana Bankers Association, Speaker 1991
"Basic Corporate Practice ‑ Entity Management & Governance," ICLEF, 1987
"The New Banking Environment: Indiana Senate Bill No. 1," ICLEF, 1985