Michael T. Bindner
Michael concentrates his practice in the areas of employee benefits, federal and state tax, physician group representation and general business services.
Michael has given more than 50 speeches and presentations on topics related to employee benefits, HIPAA and other health care issues, federal and state income tax, income tax exemption, property tax, and choice of business entity.
Currently counsel to board which oversees large governmental retirement and welfare benefit plans.
Assist governmental employers with state retirement system issues and other general employee benefit issues.
Submit requests for relief under the IRS’ Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS) to correct retirement plan operational defects that could have resulted in disqualification of clients’ retirement plans.
Assist employers with employee leasing issues, including the effects of the Affordable Care Act and federal tax law.
Design and assist with adoption and implementation of group deferred compensations plans funded through rabbi trusts.
Review and assist clients with disputing assessments of withdrawal liability by multiemployer pension plans.
Assist clients with various HIPAA privacy matters, including privacy training and investigating and reporting HIPAA privacy breaches, and with breaches of personal information reported to the Indiana Attorney General under Indiana security breach law.
Successfully represented Fortune 500 business in two Indiana income tax disputes involving taxation of sales shipped from Indiana warehouses to out-of-state customers.
Awarded Indiana Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certificate.
Previously worked on the tax and audit staffs of Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co., now KPMG, and audit staff of Coopers and Lybrand, now PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2014-2018
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association, Taxation Section, past Chair; Employment, Labor & Benefits Law Section member
- Indiana Benefits Conference, Board of Directors, 2004-2008; past Chair
- Indiana Tax Institute, past Co-Chair
- Indiana Taxation Institute, past Chair
- St. Thomas More Society, past President
- Union Pension Plan Participation Can Create Massive Unexpected Liabilities
- ACA Nondiscrimination Casts Wide Net, But Portion Has Been Enjoined
- New Federal Law Confirms Public Safety Officers’ Benefits
- Action Item Checklist for Employers - For the Final HIPAA Privacy Regulations
- Stop the Wellness--Department of Labor Strictly Limits Wellness Programs with Harsh Restrictions on Asking Family History Questions in Final GINA Regulations
- HIPAA Breach Notification Rules
- Trends in ERISA Litigation: Understand and Manage Your Risks Regarding 401(k) and Other Benefit Plans
- 161 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
Non-FBT Publications and Events
IRS issues guidance on Affordable Care Act's 'pay or play' rules, 2013
IRS likely to increase audits of COBRA compliance, 2012
Multiemployer Retirement Plan update, 2012
HIPAA for the Human Resources Professional, Indiana Chamber Annual Human Resource Conference, 2012
Health Care Reform: What Employers Need to Know - Indianapolis, 2010
Multiemployer Pension Plan Withdrawal Liability - Basics and Current Issues Under the Pension Protection Act, Construction Advancement Program/Allied Construction Industries, Cincinnati, 2010
Current COBRA Issues, Indiana Chamber Webinar, 2009
The New COBRA Subsidy Rules, Indiana Chamber Annual Human Resource Conference & Expo, 2009