Nicholas C. Pappas
Nick is Chair of Frost Brown Todd's Product Liability Practice Group. Nick also is the Vice-Chair of the Defense Research Institute's (DRI) Product Liability Committee, which is DRI's largest substantive law committee and has over 3,300 members.
He is a trial lawyer who concentrates his practice in product liability and commercial litigation. Nick serves as national lead trial counsel for a major construction and agricultural equipment manufacturer. He represents clients in lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout the United States, and has tried cases to successful defense verdicts in Alabama, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Nick also advises clients regarding Medicare reporting issues.
Smith v. Joy Mining Technologies – Successfully defended Joy in federal court in London Kentucky in a product liability case involving a below the knee leg amputation. The jury returned a unanimous verdict of no liability on both design defects and failure to warn claims.
Otieno v. Rolls Royce Corporation, et. al Represented helicopter engine manufacturer in a wrongful death case at trial court, Indiana Court of Appeals, and Indiana Supreme Court. Writing for the first time on the issue of forum non conveniens, the Supreme Court affirmed the trial court's order of dismissal in favor of the defendants.
Roebuck v. CNH America LLC Lead Trial and Appellate counsel in product liability wrongful death case in Alabama State Court that resulted in defense verdict and ruling for CNH by the Alabama Supreme Court.
Barnard v. Saturn Defended General Motors at the trial court and Court of Appeals, wherein the Indiana Court of Appeals affirmed summary judgment for GM, and for the first time, recognized the application of comparative fault in product liability enhanced injury case.
Highlights & Recognitions
- BTI Client Service All-Star, Product Liability, 2016
- DRI 2012 Product Liability Conference Chair
- Chambers USA, Commercial Litigation, 2013–2016
- Defense Lawyer of the Year, Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, 2010
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers® 2011–2016
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2010-2016
Memberships & Affiliations
- Defense Research Institute, Vice-Chair, Product Liability Committee, Membership Committee; Agricultural, Construction, Mining and Industrial Equipment (ACMIE) Specialized Litigation Group, Former ACMIE Chair, ACMIE Newsletter Editor
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA), IBA Bar Leader Series Steering Committee Member
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation, Distinguished Fellow; Vice President of the Board of Directors
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 65 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Chambers USA®
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015
- 63 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Chambers USA®
- Federal District Court Delivers Favorable Decision For CNH Industrial America
- 27 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 7 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 67 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 12 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2012
- Nicholas C. Pappas Receives DTCI Defense Lawyer of the Year Award
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, Scholarship Committee
- Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Past Parish Council Treasurer, Vice President and President, Member of Building Steering Committee, Sunday school teacher
- Spring Knoll Property Owner's Association, past Board Member and President
- Homeless Legal Services Project, Volunteer
- Kid's Voice Guardian, Ad litem volunteer
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"GCs Name Favorite Product Liability Attorneys," Law360, 2016. Read the full article here.
"Lessons from Lincoln: What Every Practicing Lawyer can Learn from Abraham Lincoln," DRI Product Liability Conference, National Harbor, Maryland, and Trial.com Litigation Management Seminar, New York, New York
"Top 10 ACMIE Cases," DRI Product Liability Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana
"Discovery and the In-House Expert: Are Two Hats Better Than One?," DRI Product Liability Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada
Lorman Educational Services, Expert Witness Seminar, Indianapolis, Indiana
"Getting the ATLA Package: Discovery of Litigation Clearinghouse Materials," DRI Product Liability Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada
"Cargo Loss Claims in the U.S.," The Harmonie Group, Transportation & Trucking Seminar, Toronto, Canada and Chicago, Illinois
“Discovery of Documents Obtained from Litigation Clearinghouses: It’s Not Work Product Anymore,” For the Defense