Nicholas J. Koch
Nicholas Koch primarily focuses his practice on oil and gas litigation. He has represented multiple oil and gas exploration and production companies in lease challenges, class-action suits, contract disputes, personal injury claims, and various landowner-related complaints. Nicholas particularly focuses on curative litigation and has significant experience prosecuting quiet title actions and claims under the Pennsylvania Dormant Oil and Gas Act. Nicholas also has experience defending upset tax sales and cloud-on-title cases. Prior to joining Frost Brown Todd, Nicholas served as a senior associate with a Texas-based oil and gas firm. He also has experience representing a national insurance company in complex mass tort cases, including asbestos bankruptcy trusts, lead paint claims, and water pollution cases.
Nicholas graduated cum laude from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, where he served as an articles editor for the University of Pittsburgh Law Review. He is a member of both the Pennsylvania and the West Virginia State Bar Associations. He was selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Rising Stars® in 2014 and 2015 by Super Lawyers magazine, an honor limited to the top 2.5 percent of young attorneys in the state.
- Successfully defended an oil and gas company against an action challenging the validity of an upset tax sale at the trial court level and in the subsequent appeal to the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania.
- Created trusts under the Pennsylvania Dormant Oil and Gas Act in favor of unknown and/or unlocatable landowners for multiple oil and gas exploration and production companies.
- Represented an oil and gas lessee and landman in royalty and lease avoidance litigation.
- Defended an oil and gas exploration and production company in a class action lawsuit.
- Advised clients regarding title issues and drafted title opinions.
- Managed contract attorneys conducting document review of electronic discovery.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Rising Stars®, 2014-2015
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Board of Directors, Side Project, Inc.