William J. George
Bill is a Managing Associate with Frost Brown Todd (FBT) and primarily practices with the insurance regulatory service team. His practice is concentrated in the areas of insurance regulatory matters, insurance insolvency, regulatory and operational compliance, market conduct examinations, and general insurance practices. Bill also has extensive experience in representing insurance entities concerning regulatory litigations and actions before various state departments of insurance throughout the country.
Given Bill’s regulatory knowledge, diverse business and legal experience and understanding of the insurance industry, he has assisted clients of the insurance regulatory service team with the identification of complex insurance/legal issues, development of corrective action and implementation of steps necessary to provide clients the ability to efficiently and effectively operate complex insurance operations. In addition, Bill’s knowledge of insurance related insolvency as well as insurance-related receiverships, liquidations and run-offs has allowed him to assist clients navigate through the complexities associated with the regulatory process and challenges of doing business in an ever changing complex regulatory environment.
Bill’s determination to successfully assist clients within the insurance industry stems from his ability to lead multiple assignments concerning compliance, legal, business and operational issues on a daily basis, while working not only with other FBT attorneys, paralegals and staff, but functioning as part of a team involving subject matter experts, client management personnel and consultants.
Bill received his law degree from Valparaiso University School of Law in 2007 and his undergraduate degree from Purdue University in 2003, majoring in Political Science and obtaining minor degrees in History and English.
After law school, Bill moved to Lexington where he was appointed an Assistant Fayette County Attorney, prosecuting misdemeanor and felony criminal cases and served as the lead prosecutor in numerous jury trials that resulted in criminal convictions. In addition to his courtroom work, he successfully defended numerous appellate actions. Bill assisted the Lexington Police Department and the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government in a wide array of legal topics such as criminal search and seizure laws, as well as the drafting of ordinances and zoning.
Prior to joining FBT, Bill joined Stephen M. O'Brien, III, PLLC, in 2009 and became an integral part of defending the rights of injured patients and their families from medical malpractice, wrongful death, nursing home abuse and personal injury. Bill undertook numerous multi-million-dollar jury trials, while successfully participating in and managing depositions and hearings across the country. Bill also successfully participated in several appellate cases before the Kentucky Supreme Court and Kentucky Court of Appeals during this time.
In November 2011, Bill joined FBT, successfully defending multiple national and international health care entities against medical malpractice, wrongful death and nursing home abuse cases, as well as general business litigation, before becoming part of the insurance industry service team.
Besides his law practice, Bill continues to serve his community as a firefighter. From 1999 until 2007, Bill was a volunteer firefighter with the Lake Bluff, Illinois Fire Department. Since 2008, Bill has served as a part time firefighter with the Versailles, Kentucky Fire Department. Bill is a certified Commonwealth of Kentucky Firefighter and is able to function in a wide variety of roles both in the firehouse and on the fire ground.
In addition to being a lifelong Chicagoan, a huge Star Wars groupie, Chicago Cubs and Chicago Blackhawks fan, Bill is married to the former Allison Dingus of Lexington, Kentucky, where they live with their two children. In addition to spending time with his family, Bill is an accomplished hockey player and golfer, having worked 13 years as a caddie at Conway Farms Golf Club (Lake Forest, Illinois), which has hosted the BMW – Fed Ex Championship. Bill also enjoys studying and reading American and European history.
Insurance Representative Matters:
- Served as counsel for twenty-four Kentucky based hospitals whose captive insurance entity was assumed by a national reciprocal which later declared insolvency; and participated in the second largest case ever tried before the Virginia State Corporation Commission. During this time, Bill played a key role in conducting the drafting and filing of various pleadings, participated in complex discovery, assisted with the preparation and participated in a multi-party hearing to protect the interests of all clients, including taking an appeal to the Supreme Court of Virginia which resulted in a favorable resolution to the insolvency proceeding.
- Bill served as a key member of the FBT Insurance Industry Team that successfully defended one of the largest international insurance companies and its affiliated insurance entities against a market conduct examination and the implementation of a Corrective Action Plan. Furthermore, Bill played a significant role in the evaluation of the client’s insurance operation. This allowed the client and its affiliated insurance companies to continue operating in a compliant matter, with increased efficiency and effectiveness. As part of this team, Bill not only served as the liaison between FBT and the client, including senior management in both the United States and Europe, but he was responsible for leading a team of FBT attorneys, staff and subject matter consultants in preparing and conducting over one hundred interviews of the client’s employees to identify regulatory compliance issues and implement corrective action. Additionally, Bill led multiple teams to conduct reviews and then implement changes to the client’s insurance operations, its policies and procedures. He was also part of the strategic off-site team that worked with the client’s senior North American and European management to ensure continued operation of the client across the United States.
- Assisted an international insurance company in response to a multisite market conduct examination with reviewing and preparing key insurance and legal issues for resolution.
- Designed and implemented multiple operational and procedural changes to assist a Kentucky based insurance entity with its captive operations, including regulatory changes and the complete overhaul of insurance policies across multiple lines of business. In collaboration with Greg Mitchell, and in conjunction with a nationally known subject matter expert, Bill oversaw the complete review and modification of the client’s insurance policies, internal bylaws, operating agreements and contractual agreements with outside entities affiliated with the client to ensure added protection for its stakeholders.
- Orchestrated the defense of an international health care company that was alleged to have allowed a patient to contract a near fatal disease, including alleged decreased cognitive function and loss of earning potential, valued by the Plaintiff at over $20 million. As a result of Bill’s knowledge of health care law, the client obtained a favorable resolution to the alleged misconduct.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Fayette County Bar Association
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Lexington Parking Authority Hearing Officer (2014 – 2016)
- Fayette Alliance of Lexington
- The Children's Advocacy Center of the Bluegrass, Board of Directors, Vice President (2013-2015), President (2015 and 2016)
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Co-Author with Hon. Stephen M. O’Brien, III, Tools to Evaluate Potential Nursing Home Cases, The Advocate: Kentucky Justice Association, November / December 2010, Volume 38, Number 6.
Presenter: Trial Preparation From Start to Finish for Paralegals. Institute for Paralegal Education, Lexington, Kentucky, April 21, 2011.