Robert V. Sartin
Robert is a member of the Nashville and Lexington offices of Frost Brown Todd LLC, having moved in 2011 to Nashville to help expand Frost Brown Todd's presence in this market. Robert maintains a Lexington office where he served as the Member-in-Charge from 2008 until late 2011 when he relocated to Nashville. Robert was appointed to the Firm's nine-person Executive Committee for a three-year term commencing January 2013. Robert previously served on the Firm's Strategic Planning, Finance and Advancement Committees. He leads the Firm's Automotive Industry Team.
Robert has 17+ years experience representing companies and chapter 11 debtors in a wide variety of business matters, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital investments, strategic alliances, joint ventures, corporate restructurings, debt transactions, bankruptcy and tax matters. Robert has experience in automotive, biopharmaceuticals, coal, equine, healthcare and telecommunications.
Representative Client Matters
Serves as Frost Brown Todd's service team leader for Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc. and leads Frost Brown Todd's representation of Toyota; with an emphasis in supplier and risk management matters.
Represents other OEMs and Tier suppliers in mergers and acquisitions, supply chain management and various other business matters.
Serves as lead outside counsel to a Louisville telecommunications company. Robert helped lead a management buy-out of the company from a Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2003 and has continued the representation with matters involving multi-million dollar private placements, secured debt financings, asset and stock acquisitions and a recent reverse take-over merger with a public company.
Represents and has represented large coal companies in general corporate matters including secured debt financings, coal lease issues, corporate restructurings and asset and stock acquisitions. Representative transactions range from $5 million to $860 million financings and/or acquisitions.
Serves as lead outside counsel to international veterinarian equine practice, having represented the company in converting from a corporation to a limited liability company; negotiating member buy-ins and buy-outs; corporate refinancings and other corporate matters.
Serves as lead outside counsel to a medical device start-up company having represented the company in all phases of the start-up including a multi-million dollar private placement; interaction with patent counsel; negotiating buy-sell and other operating agreement matters; and negotiating hospital servicing agreements.
Serves as lead outside counsel to a biopharmaceutical company developing cancer therapies. Previously represented the founder from early stage venture funding through a strategic alliance with a large multinational to the successful sale to a Taiwanese company.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2006-2015
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® 2012, 2013
- BTI Client Service All Star, 2014
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers In America® 2015
- Frost Brown Todd’s Robert Sartin Named 2014 BTI Client Service All-Star
- Six Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Mid-South Super Lawyers®
- Frost Brown Todd brings together auto industry heavy hitters to exchange ideas
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- Robert V. Sartin Named to Frost Brown Todd Executive Committee
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2012
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- Robert V. Sartin Joins Nashville Office
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- The Lexington Polo Club, President, 2008; Treasurer, 2007
- Leadership Kentucky, Class of 2009
- Bluegrass Tomorrow, 2008-2010
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Speaker: Preference Strategies and Other Insolvency Issues for Creditors
30th Mineral Law Conference
Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, 2005
Speaker: Buy-Sell Creditor Protection Planning and Other Legal Topics
Hosted by Hagyard Equine Medical Institute
Veterinary Management Group Conference
Oklahoma City, OK, 1/21/11
Portland, ME, 8/17/07
Author: A Practical Approach to Financial Restructuring and Commercial Bankruptcies in the Automotive, Coal, and Equine Sectors
Inside the Minds: Buying and Selling Distressed Businesses, Aspatore, 2010 Edition.
Co-Author and Presenter: Prevent Costly Mistakes Through the Correct Entity Choice in Kentucky
National Business Institute, 2005
Author: Developing an Effective Acquisition Strategy for a Distressed Business Requires Knowing and Understanding the "Why"
Inside the Minds: Buying and Selling Distressed Businesses, Aspatore, 2012 Edition.
Co-Author: "Bankrupsy Issues for the Real Estate Practitioner", Kentucky Real Estate Law & Practice, Fourth Edition, Vol. II