Susan J. Pope
Susan is a member of the firm's Product Liability and Mass Tort practice group and has practiced in the Lexington office for 26 years, representing regional and national clients in state and federal court. Her practice focuses on products liability, pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, toxic tort, and defense of catastrophic injury cases.
After graduating from law school at the top of her class, Susan was law clerk to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Kentucky before joining Frost Brown Todd.
Her medical device and pharmaceutical experience includes defending manufacturers of transvaginal mesh, robotic arm surgical system, breast implants, Levofloxacin, Lidocaine hydrochloride, Oxycodone opioid pain medication, Risperidone, Rofecoxib, Tacrolimus, and Valproate. Susan has represented chemical manufacturers and distributors in the toxic tort arena, where her experience includes trichloroethylene, 1, 1,1 trichloroethane, and carbon monoxide. Susan has counseled pharmaceutical manufacturers sued by the State Attorney General involving allegations of violations of consumer protection laws.
- Defense of transvaginal mesh manufacturer in multi-district litigation related to the placement of mesh for treatment of pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence.
- Defense of pharmaceutical company in Average Wholesale Price litigation.
- Defense of pharmaceutical manufacturer in action where plaintiffs alleged that drug taken during pregnancy caused birth defects.
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturer in an action by the Attorney General of Kentucky alleging violations of the Consumer Protection Act in the marketing and distribution of prescription medicine, and in that manufacturer's lawsuit against the Commonwealth/AG related to the retention of contingency fee counsel.
- Defended chemical manufacturer and distributor in state and federal litigation regarding the alleged exposure to trichloroethylene.
- Defended device manufacturer in state and federal litigation against allegations that the robotically-assisted surgical system was defective.
- Defended tool manufacturer in gas explosion case resulting in catastrophic injury.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Lexington Product Liability Litigation - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year," 2017; Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2011-2017
- Selected for inclusion in Kentucky Super Lawyers®
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Kentucky's Mass Tort Litigation Committee, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Drug and Medical Device Committee
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 18 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 50 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 52 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 21 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2014
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Lexington Humane Society, Former Chair, Board of Directors
- Alzheimer’s Association, Greater Kentucky and Southern Indiana Chapter; Former Chair, Board of Directors; Executive Committee