Theresa A. Canaday
Theresa is chair of the business litigation practice group, the largest of the firm's practice groups. Her legal practice has an emphasis in complex business matters, including energy-related contract disputes, business torts, franchise disputes and related matters, construction disputes and unfair competition cases. She represents Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 corporations, as well as closely-held companies, start up businesses and entrepreneurs. She also has substantial experience representing energy-sector entities in state and federal litigation.
Theresa has a wide-range of experience in trying business dispute cases in federal and state courts around the country, as well as prosecuting and defending complex matters through arbitration. Over the course of her career, she has tried more than 15 cases in either court or arbitration, often involving many weeks of trial in each instance.
Theresa also has experience representing individuals and companies in federal criminal investigations, including health care fraud and antitrust investigations. In connection with this work, she has represented clients through the federal subpoena and grand jury processes.
Prior to joining the Firm she worked as an associate with Mayer, Brown & Platt in Chicago, Illinois (1995-2000). Immediately before working for Mayer, Brown & Platt, Theresa clerked for Judge Eugene Siler, Jr. of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (1994-1995).
Highlights & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation: Top 250 Women in Litigation 2015, 2014, 2013
- Chambers USA® America's Leading Business Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation
- Louisville Magazine: "Powerfull People," 2014
- Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected for inclusion in Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation, 2007-2016
- Benchmark Litigation®, listed among the "Local Litigation Stars" for Kentucky, 2011-2012
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Brandeis Inn of Court
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 18 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 50 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2015
- 52 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 21 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2014
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2012
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2011
- Frost Brown Todd's Louisville Litigation Practice Recognized as "Highly Recommended Local Litigation Firm"
- 32 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2010
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Receive Recognition in 2010 Super Lawyers® Corporate Counsel Edition
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- St. Agnes Parish, School Board
- St. Agnes Parish, Chair Elect, Parish Council
- The Home of the Innocents, Inc., Chair, 2007-2009; Board of Directors
- Junior Achievement, Board of Directors, 2008
- 21st Century Society of the Louisville Orchestra Board of Directors, Secretary
- Leadership Louisville, 2004-2005
- Leadership Kentucky, 2006
- Selected Top 40 under 40, 2004