Thomas B. Allen
Thomas is a member of Frost Brown Todd LLC. He practices in the governmental services, litigation, and labor and employment areas. He represents clients in a wide array of matters, with emphasis on litigation, employment and labor matters, school law issues, municipal law issues, and alternative dispute resolution. He has defended individual, class, and collective actions, and has litigated several cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the Courts of Appeal in Ohio, and trial courts in Ohio.
Obtained defense jury verdict for multiple defendants after two-day employment discrimination trial.
Obtained defense verdict after bench trial in workers’ compensation retaliation lawsuit.
Obtained defense jury verdict after seven-day personal injury trial.
Obtained defense verdict after two-day bench trial in fraud lawsuit.
Rose v. CTL Aerospace, Inc., 2012-Ohio-1596 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
Lacey v. CTL Aerospace, Inc., 2011-Ohio-4905 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
Johnson v. Edgewood City School Dist. Bd. of Edn., 2010-Ohio-3135 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
Johnson v. Edgewood City School Dist. Bd. of Edn., 2009‑Ohio‑3827 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
Main & High Dev. v. City of Oxford, 2009-Ohio-6048 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
State ex rel. Professionals Guild of Ohio v. State Emp. Relations Bd., 2009-Ohio-2155 (10th Dist. Ct. App.)
In re Request for Transfer of Territory from the Franklin City School Dist., Warren Cty., to the Middletown City School Dist., Butler & Warren, 2009-Ohio-2505 (10th Dist. Ct. App.)
Mortensen v. Butler Cty. Bd. of Commrs., 2008-Ohio-1728 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
Lindsey v. Sinclair Broadcast Group, 2003-Ohio-6898 (2d Dist. Ct. App.)
Wofford v. Middletown Tube Works, 67 Fed. Appx. 312 (6th Cir.)
Lamping v. Walraven, 30 Fed. Appx. 577 (6th Cir.)
Bardonaro v. General Motors Corp., 2000 WL 1062188 (2d Dist. Ct. App.)
Day v. Middletown-Monroe City Sch. Dist., 2000 WL 979141 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
Day v. Middletown-Monroe City Sch. Dist., 2000 WL 525612 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
Carey v. AK Steel Corp., 1998 Ohio App. LEXIS 3203 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
City of Oxford v. Day, 1998 WL 117167 (12th Dist. Ct. App.)
Brittain v. Brown’s Run Country Club, 1997 WL 89159 (12th Dist. Ct. App.), appeal dismissed, 79 Ohio St. 3d 1445 (1997)
Trial Court Decisions:
Wessendarp v. Berling, 2013 WL 3353886 (S.D. Ohio)
Jestice v. Butler Tech. and Career Dev. Schools Bd. of Educ., 2012 WL 3527186 (S.D. Ohio)
Jestice v. Butler Tech. and Career Dev. Schools Bd. of Educ., 2012 WL 71021 (S.D. Ohio)
Bethel v. Middletown City School Dist., 2011 WL 2133623 (S.D. Ohio)
Bethel v. Middletown City School Dist., 2011 WL 2038597 (S.D. Ohio)
Harmon v. Hamilton County, Ohio, 2011 WL 6091786 (S.D. Ohio)
Mansour v. West Chester Board of Trustees, 2011 WL 5389280 (S.D. Ohio)
Mansour v. West Chester Board of Trustees, 2011 WL 5403137 (S.D. Ohio)
OPW Fueling Components v. Works, 2007 WL 1406956 (S.D. Ohio)
In the Matter of Arbitration Between: Respondent (Educational Services) v. Grievant 1‑Labor Union (Grievant 2 Termination),2011 WL 2662128, AAA, April 06, 2011
In the Matter of Arbitration Middletown City School District (Ohio) and Middletown Classified Employees Association/OEA/NEA,2009 WL 7323916 (Arb.), AWARD: February 19, 2009
Miamisburg (OH), City of and Miamisburg Firefighters, Local 31154, 2008 WL 8568562 (Arb. Award), April 16, 2008
Kautex Textron, 125 L.A. 746 (Brunner, 2007)
Kautex Textron, 124 L.A. 785 (Fullmer, 2007)
Arbitration Between City of Miamisburg, Ohio and Miamisburg Police Association a/w F.O.P., Ohio Labor Council, Inc., 2000 WL 33155086 (Arb.), July 23, 2000
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2008-2015
- Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
Memberships & Affiliations
- Butler County Bar Association (First Vice President 2011, President 2012)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Ohio School Boards Association, Member
- Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys Executive Committee (Vice-Chair 2006, Chair 2007)
- The Effects of the State Biennial Budget on Ohio School Districts
- Required Public Records Training For Public Officials Is Now Offered Online
- The Government Issues Guidance on the Responsibility of Public Schools Regarding Communication with Students with Hearing/Vision/Speech Disabilities
- OCR Issues Guidance on Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Records documenting threats against governor are not public record – Ohio Supreme Court
- Ohio Supreme Court Issues Landmark Decisions Regarding Attorney’s Fees in Public Records Act Actions
- Ohio Legislature Creates Additional Exception to the Open Meeting Law Under R.C. 121.22
- Self-Audit Check: Don't Spend Public Money for Political Purposes
- Office of Civil Rights Issues Guidance on School District Section 504 Policies
- What You Should Know Regarding the Sixth Circuit Decision Involving "Policymaking" Employees
- Ohio Public Records Update: Rhodes v. New Philadelphia - A Person Must Intend To Access Records To Be Entitled To Civil Forfeiture Damages
- Where Is The “Un-Delete” Key? Ohio Supreme Court Holds That Public Entities Can Be Required To “Un-Delete” Deleted E-Mails
- ALP: How can employers curb the abuse of intermittent FMLA leave?
- Media Law Advisory
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers In America® 2015
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- Thomas B. Allen Elected President of the Butler County Bar Association
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
- Frost Brown Todd Attorney Appointed to Middletown City Council
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- American Heart Association Middletown Division, President, Board of Directors 2006-2007
- Leadership Mid-Miami Valley, Graduate
- Butler County Republican Party, Executive Committee
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Storytelling: Making It Personal in Employment Litigation,"
Strategies for Employment Litigation (Aspatore, 2012)
Co-Author: God, Country and Student Publications,
First Amendment and Media Litigation Newsletter, 1996
Subcontracting Public Services in Ohio,
Ohio School Boards Association Magazine, January 1995
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Speaker: "Public Records Update"
Miami Valley Communications Council, March 2014
Speaker: "Recent Developments in Public Records Law"
Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, July 2013
Speaker: "When Teachers Go Wild on the Web: Legal Risks for Schools"
National School Boards Association, April 2011
Speaker: "Cyberlaw 2010: Technology and the Law"
Ohio School Boards Association, May 2010
Speaker: "The New and Emerging Technologies"
Ohio School Boards Association, September 2008
Speaker: "Ohio Public Sector Developments and Public Records Access"
Ohio Management Lawyers Association, October 2007
Speaker: 2005 Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association
Annual Training Seminar, February 2005
Speaker: "Bidding and Prevailing Wage Requirements For Architects and Construction Managers"
Ohio School Boards Association, March 1997
Speaker: "School Law Issues in Ohio"
National Business Institute Presentation, 1997
Speaker: "Suspension and Expulsion"
Ohio School Boards Association, March 1997
Speaker: "Subcontracting for Ohio Schools"
Ohio School Boards Association, March 1995
In-House & Client Presentations
"Cloud Computing Seminar: District-Wide Data Breaches," FBT School Law Seminar, 2015
"What’s New in Cyberspace," FBT School Law Seminar, 2011-2012
Public Records & Sunshine Law Updates, 1997-2013
"Legal Issues Presented by the Teaching Profession," Miami University, Graduate Level School Law Class (2011)