Frost Brown Todd delivers a full array of legal services required in the rapidly changing and ever-complicated Energy space. From extraction of fuel sources, to power generation, to distribution and retail delivery, our clients are leaders in every segment of the industry. The solutions FBT provides fit the needs of our clients, and have included the development of a wide array of sophisticated financing, tax, fuel, siting, land use, joint ventures and intellectual property tools required to serve regulated and unregulated industry participants in this increasingly competitive market.
We represent independent power companies, investor-owned utilities (both gas and electric), electric cooperatives, coal mining companies, and oil and gas producers in a variety of transactional, regulatory and litigation matters, including:
- Advising power generation industry clients at every stage of project development—from planning, site acquisition, financing, construction to refinancing and operation.
- Retained by coal industry and oil and gas producer clients for acquisitions of mining companies and mineral reserves, procurement and financing of equipment, negotiation of fuel supply contracts, and advice on a wide variety of operational and regulatory matters.
- Representing producers in complex litigation arising in this area including major environmental litigation and litigation involving power purchase and fuel supply agreements.
- Representing both large and small utilities before various regulatory agencies with cases involving rate adjustments, financings, certificates of Public Convenience and Necessity (CPCN), power plant and transmission siting, fuel adjustment clause, environmental surcharge, merger approval and service complaints.
Our lawyers routinely represent clients in a variety of permitting, enforcement and other regulatory proceedings before federal, state and local regulatory agencies.
In the News
- VA hospital site on Brownsboro maybe not a done deal, foes say
- Louisville's largest law firm names four members
- Meet the legal world's super-experts
- One of Cincinnati’s largest law firms expands in Great American Tower
- Energy ebbs; Pittsburgh law firms readjust
- Law firm takes space in Union Trust Building
- How $502 makes big impact for millennial donors
- Power of social media fuels Louisville nonprofits
- Estoppel by deed applies to gas lease, court rules
- How big law firm merger could shake up Pittsburgh
- Service companies forced to regroup as energy slump lingers
- Charity Spotlight: [give]502
- Editor's letter: Defining philanthropy
- Exclusive: New law firm takes space downtown
- Is Nashville Emerging As The Auto Industry’s Southern Hub?
- Habel takes reins at Frost Brown Todd after helping steer through recession
- One of Cincinnati's largest law firms names a new leader
- Paws with Purpose wins $23,500 grant
- One man’s dream, now a 150-acre park
- 'All sorts of Implications'
- Young philanthropists making a difference
- Mt. Pleasant company donates $30,000
- Frost Brown Todd Pittsburgh Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Editions of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Pennsylvania Rising Stars®
- Frost Brown Todd Appoints 11 New Members
- Frost Brown Todd Expands at Great American Tower at Queen City Square
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- Michael Brewster Recognized in 2016 Edition of Pennsylvania Rising Stars®
- Frost Brown Todd Adds to Energy Practice with New Office in Pittsburgh
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 18 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016
- Frost Brown Todd Gains Ground in Dallas
- Frost Brown Todd Names Chris Habel to Succeed Jill Meyer as Member-in-Charge
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- FBT senior associate Daniel Mudd selected to Louisville Sports Commission’s Athletic Boosters Committee
- 8 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Mid-South Super Lawyers®; Two Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- Frost Brown Todd Attorney Named Key Player in Energy Market
- $2 billion project financing of a power plant and syndication of loan to approximately 50 banks
- Approximately $860 million sale of coal company assets
- $250 million multi-tranche credit facility for a coal mining company
- $25 million sale of coal mining assets
- $24 million issuance of industrial revenue bonds in coal company financing
- Coal lease and supply arrangement involving 55 million tons of coal reserves
- $42 million sale and leaseback of coal mining property and processing facilities
- $140 million acquisition of coal mining assets
- $25 million sale of equity interests of coal mining companies
- $11 million coal mining asset purchase and $30 million related financing
- $94 million acquisition of coal mining assets
Approvals before state regulatory agencies involving:
- Utility financings totaling more than $1 billion
- Establishment of utility Regulatory Assets for accounting treatment totaling more than $200 million
- Utility rate cases totaling more than $200 million
- Utility merger approvals involving combined assets in the value of billions of dollars