Franchise and Distribution
Frost Brown Todd lawyers are proven leaders in the franchise and distribution industry. Franchise and distribution companies must constantly comply with not only the federal rules promulgated by the Federal Trade Commission but also the states that regulate franchising within their borders. With a practical approach to problem solving we know how to balance the legitimate business objectives and expectations of all parties in the franchise and distribution relationship. Whatever business problems arise for our clients – from structuring the franchise, organization of a purchasing organization or creation of innovative financing and operational solutions, Frost Brown Todd can help you achieve your goals.
Compliance with Franchise Disclosure/Registration Requirements
We counsel our clients to insure they are compliant with the pre-sale disclosure and other requirements regarding franchises and franchise agreements under both Federal Trade Commission rules and various state law requirements.
We can coordinate with counsel in foreign countries, many of whom already have a working relationship with Frost Brown Todd, as to international franchise requirements.
We prepare franchise disclosure or registration documents; franchise agreements and trademark licensing agreements in such industries as restaurants, food service, convenience stores, clothing, home furnishings, footwear, formalwear, automobile repairs, diet counseling and maid services.
Franchise and Dealer Termination Issues
Special dealer termination laws have also been enacted at the federal level such as the Automobile Dealer Franchise Act requiring that automobile manufacturers act in good faith when terminating dealer franchises. State statutes often limit or purport to limit termination of dealers in various well-known industries such as beer, wine, farm equipment and automobile dealerships. Some states have enacted statutes governing termination of any dealer or "franchise" relationship. We can furnish a quick evaluation of a franchise/dealer termination situation, including analysis of the reasons for termination, review of the written franchise/dealer agreement, evaluation of potential antitrust issues, assessing potential franchise/dealer protection statutes, consideration of potential for common law contract or tort claims and analysis of damages or available remedies.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
We represent franchisors, franchisees, suppliers and dealers in all aspects of terminations in federal and state court and in arbitrations and mediations. We defend or prosecute related claims such as:
- False earnings
- False promises of franchisor buyouts of failing franchisees
- Terminations in violation of state dealer termination statutes
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), contract law or promissory estoppel
- Improper restrictions on the sale or transfer of dealerships or franchises
- Establishment of supplier-owned or franchisor-owned businesses within dealers' or franchisees' market areas, thereby, constituting unfair competition
- Failure to arbitrate pursuant to a binding arbitration clause
- Vertical and horizontal price-fixing and tie-in antitrust claims
Franchisee Associations and Related Issues
We represent franchisee associations in connection with general formation and operational matters, including the preparation of articles of incorporation and bylaws and amendments, thereto, the establishment of programs for association members such as group insurance coverage, telecommunications contracts, marketing working groups and related areas.
We represent both franchisors and franchisees (including franchisee associations) in various complex issues including the development of policies for the expansion of franchise systems;, the impact of the development of alternate distribution channels on franchisees, franchise system advertising and marketing policies and fund administration, advertising cooperative arrangements and franchise dispute resolution mechanisms.
We are involved in all aspects of franchisee association disputes and litigation.
Franchise System Purchasing Organizations
Frost Brown Todd is the foremost expert and industry leader in the design and formation of franchise system purchasing organizations. Our experience includes the design and formation of purchasing organizations for many national restaurant systems including several quick service restaurant chains and the first purchasing cooperative for a casual dining restaurant system. We have also advised a substantial number of other franchise system purchasing organizations concerning everything from cooperative tax and anti-trust issues to system wide distribution arrangements and supply chain visibility software.
Franchise Business Transactions
The attorneys in the Franchise Section regularly assist franchisees and franchisors in selling or acquiring their restaurants, hotels, dealerships, etc. In addition, we give advice on financing and re-financing the franchised units.
Procurement and Distribution Agreements
Frost Brown Todd has extensive knowledge in the negotiation and drafting of procurement and distribution agreements for many different products on behalf of companies and purchasing organizations of all sizes in diverse industries. In addition, we have assisted clients in the evaluation, development and implementation of system specific standardized forms of procurement, supply and distribution agreements.
In the News
- Tri-State leaders set their sights on super-sizing foreign investment
- Foreign Direct Investment Symposium coming to Cincinnati — key leaders to speak
- Cincinnati companies could learn to like President Trump, unless he starts a trade war
- NKU presents 9th annual Cybersecurity Symposium on Oct. 21, features national and local experts
- Cincinnati companies bracing for Brexit impact
- Court ruling important in hobby law tax cases
- Louisville's largest law firm names 12 new members
- Longtime Louisville Legal Aid chief retiring
- Cincinnati is becoming a magnet for Finnish companies
- Louisville attorney launching program to clear minor infractions from the legal records of homeless men
- New IRS programs create added risks for unsuspecting taxpayers
- Cranley reconvenes Lunken oversight board
- Foreign trips sell Cincinnati to overseas businesses
- Longtime Indianapolis Attorney Mike Eckerle Joins Frost Brown Todd
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- R. James Straus Receives 2016 Brown-Forman Spirit of Justice Award
- Frost Brown Todd Gains Ground in Dallas
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- Lauren E. Smith joins Frost Brown Todd’s Regulated Business Practice
- Jason C. Williams joins program advancing the next generation of leaders in law
- Experienced Cincinnati Attorney Joins Frost Brown Todd
- Nashville Attorney Sarah Clark Hannah Named Member
- Jason C. Williams Named in 2012 Top Forty Under 40
- Jason C. Williams receives Young Professional Alumni Award