If you do business between Germany and the U.S., our German Desk can help. The German Desk combines a group of attorneys from different practice groups with a particular focus on the German market. This allows us to assist U.S. clients with their business in Germany and advise German companies on their U.S. operations.
The German Desk consists of attorneys from different practice areas, including corporate, litigation, immigration and commercial law. The Desk is headed by Kai Bitter, a corporate attorney who is licensed both in Germany and Ohio. Kai is a regular speaker at international business and trade events and regularly trains the legal departments of German owned companies on commercial contracting under U.S. laws. He has been recognized by Chambers Global as “an excellent go-to choice for advising German clients in the USA” (2014) and “excellent in international matters” under Corporate/M&A – USA (2015).
We regularly assist U.S. companies in entering the German market and German companies in entering the U.S. market. We collaborate closely with local chambers, tax advisors, banks, accountants and municipal and state development agencies to facilitate Greenfield investments. For joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions in the U.S., Germany and beyond, we help identify and evaluate the target, negotiate and manage the transaction and integrate the new business venture.
In today’s global business, companies must have contracts with international suppliers, customers and sales agents. Also, their import-export management must follow the laws of many nations, so we advise on U.S., German, EU and other applicable trade and customs laws.
We provide comprehensive advice and representation in national and international court and arbitration proceedings in Germany and the U.S. We represent clients in arbitration proceedings worldwide.
We secure work visas and resident permits for managers and employees, including “green cards”, in the U.S. In conjunction with CPA firms, we also help expatriates navigate U.S., German and international law, especially regarding tax and inheritance.
The protection and licensing of patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets (“know-how”) are critical for a company’s success. We build cost-effective strategies and execute those strategies on a worldwide basis.
In the News
- Herausforderungen im USA-Markt nach der Trump-Wahl
- Im Silicon Valley zu gründen ist Zeitverschwendung
- Aufschwung der US-Industrie läuft auch ohne Trump
- Vertrauter Dialog: Convergys erwirbt Callcenter-Sparte mit Gowling, Menold und CHSH
- buw geht an US-Konzern Convergys
- Bonfiglioli Welcomes EACC in Italy
- German Clothing Store to Open at Moerlein Brewery
- Member Spotlight: Kai Bitter, Frost Brown Todd
- Cincinnati's Trans-Atlantic Ties
Click the following link to read about Liability Exposure in the USA.
Click the following link to download an Ohio Economic Overview by JobsOhio in German.
- Advised German supplier of systems for surface finishing technology and environmental technology on large-scale OEM projects and formation of US based joint venture.
- Advised German market leader on joint venture with European competitor for U.S. market.
- Advised German-owned companies on expansion into U.S. market through acquisitions and Greenfield investments.
- Lead U.S. counsel for many German-owned companies from various industries, including tier 1 and 2 automotive suppliers, plastic molding, commercial knives, industrial sensors, waste separators, gear drives, automotive safety technologies, and others.
- Advised U.S. based material handling automation and software engineering company on License and Know-how Transfer Agreement with German equipment maker.
- Advised U.S. based publicly traded company on attempted acquisition of German-based target in auction process.