Life Sciences IP
Frost Brown Todd offers clients a comprehensive practice for those who have special intellectual property business and legal needs within the life science industry. Our attorneys work with life science companies, investors and financial intermediaries at all stages of company development. The Frost Brown Todd team has been highlighted in LMG Life Sciences and Chambers USA Business Lawyers Guide 2010 as one of the top Ohio IP practices for taking on cutting-edge medical and bioscience work. Says Chambers,
“Steven Goldstein has significant depth of experience in patent prosecution, trademarks and opinion work and is praised for his ’superb communication skills.’ With a niche in the life sciences sector, he recently took on opinion and portfolio management work for Mylan Pharmaceuticals. Karlyn Schnapp has a PhD in chemistry and is praised for her ’thorough manner and technical expertise."’ Excelling in patent prosecution and opinion writing, she is well regarded in the biotech and chemical sectors.”
Examples of FBT life science IP work include:
- Providing numerous patent freedom-to-practice opinions to support ANDA filings of a major generic pharmaceutical company. Assisting company with freedom-to-practice and patent invalidity work for a first to file ANDA filing for several products, including an oncology drug. Assisting the client with prosecuting patent applications world-wide for new drug combinations.
- Providing numerous patent freedom-to-practice opinions to support product launches of skin care and hair care products for a major consumer products client. Developed and presented an innovative on-going in-house patent training program for the client.
- Providing intellectual property support for significant financing round and development of IP portfolio for several medical device start-ups. Designed patent portfolio developmental strategies for several life sciences start-ups.
- Developed patent coverage strategy for a major new product for an intra-ocular lens developer, and obtained patent coverage in their commercially-important photochronic intraocular lens development.
- Assisting with IP due diligence projects for pharmaceutical companies to support mergers and acquisitions. Handled due diligence on all IP matters including patents, trademarks and domain names.
- Working with a biopharma company, patenting animal models and other research tool technologies for drug discovery and development research.
- Handled patent prosecution and portfolio management work for major medical device and nutritional products clients.
- Assisted academic research institutions in the licensing of their technology.
Many of our life sciences attorneys have advanced technical degrees and several have experience in the pharmaceutical industry and in making technical developments for major research institutions.
Representative Client List:
Devicor Medical Products
Triathlon Medical Ventures
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
Battelle Memorial Institute