It’s about Connections and Relationships
The mission of the Women’s Initiative at FBT is consistent with our firm’s diversity mission: to work towards an inclusive environment where everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed. Firm member Kimberly Mauer chairs the Women’s Initiative.
The Initiative focuses on activities targeted to its mission, including:
- Working with the Advancement Committee, practice group leaders, and firm management to develop and advance female lawyers in the firm.
- Facilitating more targeted opportunities for mentoring to connect female lawyers with people who will help them advance in the firm.
- Supporting alternative work schedules, the promotion of attorneys with non-traditional billable hour requirements to partnership, flexibility in opportunities, and acceptance of working remotely.
- Developing more targeted marketing opportunities to connect female attorneys and female clients.
- Coordinating directly with our Director of Diversity and Inclusion and practice group leaders to make sure we work towards these goals every day.
Supporting Individual Success
We have developed a culture that promotes the advancement of women and encourages their success. For example, the firm has created a process in which women can solicit other experienced attorneys to comment on their self-evaluations prior to finalizing and submitting them, thus leveraging the perspectives of more seasoned colleagues. We have a strong community of more senior female attorneys who have volunteered to mentor any woman either on a long-term basis or to assist with a specific issue. Also, the firm funds biannual retreats for female attorneys to discuss ways we can support each other more effectively as a group and as a firm.
Working to Everyone’s Benefit
Through the Initiative, our women receive the guidance and direction they need to develop client service strategies and attorney-client relationships that produce long-term benefits for themselves and the law firm.
The programs we have in place encourage all attorneys to interact and work together, strengthening both internal and external relationships and providing value to our attorneys, our firm, our clients and our communities.