Lawyers compete to aid food banks
Statement issued Tuesday by the Office of the Indiana Attorney General:
Lawyer jokes aside, attorneys are competitive and like to win. This character trait is exactly what the state's top lawyer, Attorney General Greg Zoeller, is hoping to harness by issuing the March Against Hunger food drive challenge to benefit Indiana’s 11 regional food banks. For the third consecutive year, Zoeller is partnering with the Indiana State Bar Association and Feeding Indiana's Hungry (FIsH) to call on law firms and lawyers to raise money and food donations that will go to feed thousands of food insecure families.
“The contributions of attorneys during previous March Against Hunger drives demonstrate the generosity of those who participated,” Zoeller said. “Serving the interests of others is what lawyers do best and I think my colleagues in the profession would agree that having the opportunity to compete for bragging rights is an added incentive.”
The competition is divided into four divisions -- large law firms of 50 attorneys or more; medium-sized firms of 10 – 49 attorneys; small and sole practitioners of one to nine attorneys; and public and nonprofit attorneys. The organization in each of four divisions that raises the most money and food donations will be awarded the Attorney General’s Cup and recognized for their contributions. Nearly 50 law firms and sole practitioners have already registered to donate. A complete list is below.
Firms may make monetary contributions or donations of nonperishable food items. Every dollar raised will be counted as five pounds of food. In 2009, 45 participating law offices across Indiana generated the equivalent of more than 77 tons of food. In 2010, 31 offices participated raising more than 50 tons of food.
To sign up to participate in this year's statewide competition, visit the Attorney General’s March Against Hunger webpage. Firms can register and donate anytime until March 31. For more information, contact Michelle Mayer, Director of Outreach Services for the Indiana Office of the Attorney General at email@example.com or 317-234-6668.
Public and Non-Profits
- Dept. of Justice/Office of US Trustee, Region 10 - Indianapolis
- Indiana University School of Law - Indianapolis
- Department of Justice/Office of the US Trustee - South Bend
- Kentucky Retirement Systems Legal Department - Frankfort, Ky.
- Coleman Stevenson & Montel, LLP - Indianapolis
- Collignon & Dietrick, P.C. - Indianapolis
- Goodin, Orzeske & Blackwell, PC - Indianapolis
- Gwen A. Pollard - Falmouth, Ky.
- Hilbrich Cunningham Schwerd Dobosz & Vinovich - Highland, Ind.
- Hollingsworth & Zivitz, P.C. - Carmel
- Hostetler & Kowalik PC Indianapolis
- Law Offices of Attorney Bryan K. Bullock - Merrillville
- Lawson & Lawson - Pineville, Ky.
- Lewis & Wilkins LLP - Indianapolis
- Overly & Johnson, LLC/Bourbon County Bar Association - Paris, Ky.
- Pamela Bratcher Attorney at Law - Bowling Green, Ky.
- Pennamped & Associates - Indianapolis
- Pfeifer Morgan & Steskiak - South Bend
- Philip H. Siegel - Evansville
- Price Waicukauski & Riley, LLC - Indianapolis
- Reddy Law Firm, LLC - Terre Haute
- Roberge & Roberge - Indianapolis
- Robling Law, LLC - Bloomington
- Smith Carpenter Law - Jeffersonville
- The Koch Law Firm - Bloomington
- Tuesley Hall Konopa, LLP - South Bend
- William I. Fine, Attorney at Law - Highland
- Beckman Lawson - Fort Wayne
- Benesch/Dann Pecar - Indianapolis
- Burke Costanza & Carberry, LLP - Merrillville
- Campbell Kyle Proffitt LLP - Carmel
- Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin - Terre Haute
- Harrison & Moberly, LLP - Indianapolis
- Jones Obenchain LLP - South Bend
- Lewis Wagner, LLP - Indianapolis
- Mapother & Mopother - Louisville
- Rubin & Levin, P.C. - Indianapolis
- Rudolph, Fine, Porter & Johnson - Evansville
- Stuart & Branigin, LLP - Lafayette
- Tilford Dobbins Alexander PLLC -Louisville
- Wilkinson Goeller Modesitt Wilkinson & Drummy LLP - Terre Haute
- Ziemer, Stayman, Weitzel & Shoulders, LLP - Evansville
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP -Indianapolis
- Bingham McHale LLP - Indianapolis
- Frost Brown Todd LLC - Indianapolis
- Greenebaum Doll & McDonald PLLC - Louisville, Ky.
- Ice Miller LLP - Indianapolis
- Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP -Indianapolis
Those not employed by a law firm who want to donate can contribute nonperishable foods at a participating firm or by visiting the FIsH Web site at http://www.feedingindianashungry.org/. Donation totals and competition winners will be announced after the March Against Hunger food drive concludes March 31. A list of participating firms will be posted at http://www.atg.in.gov/.