Philip K. Hartmann
Phil serves his clients in the areas of general municipal counsel/law director, land use and zoning, eminent domain, real estate acquisition, annexation, home rule charter drafting, economic development and administrative appeals. He counsels a wide-variety of clients from Cities and Villages and private sector clients. Phil also serves as General Counsel (i.e. Law Director) for the Cities of Hilliard and Pickerington, advising the Cities on day to day and all other matters.
Phil currently serves as the International Municipal Attorneys Association’s (“IMLA”) Regional Vice President (Representative for the 6th Circuit) and is the past state of Ohio representative. Phil also served as President, First Vice President, Second Vice President and Board Member of the Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association (“OMAA”). He has received the highest AV peer and client ranking by Martindale Hubbell. Recently Phil named as and recognized by the Best Lawyers in America.
Prior to joining the firm, Phil was the co-chair of the Public Law Practice Group at an Am Law 200 Law Firm.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- International Municipal Attorneys Association, Regional Vice President and Representative for the 6th Circuit (Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Tennessee) 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020
- International Municipal Attorneys Association, State of Ohio Representative 2008, 2009
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, Past President 2016
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, President 2015
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, First Vice President 2014
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, Second Vice President 2013
- Nonprofit Excellence Award, Ohio House of Representatives, 2012
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® 2005, 2006
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association
- International Municipal Lawyer Association
- American Bar Association
- American Planning Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Municipal League
- Ohio Planning Association
- Ohio City Manager Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Supreme Court of Ohio strikes down red-light camera restrictions
- State Board of Education Approves the Transfer of a Home from Columbus City Schools to Westerville City Schools
- Supreme Board of Sign Review: Supreme Court Declares Provisions of Town’s Sign Code Unconstitutional
- Charity Bins are a form of Communication, according to the Sixth Circuit
- The City of Cleveland Fumbles in Applying Municipal Taxes to NFL Players
- House Bill 47: Another Step towards Eliminating Open Container Restrictions within Designated Areas
- Ohio Supreme Court Upholds City Curfews in Public Parks
- New Ohio Senate Bill seeks to severely limit the use of traffic cameras
- Proposed Ohio Legislation Expands the Power to Issue Investigative Subpoenas to City Law Departments
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 includes 169 Frost Brown Attorneys
- Philip Hartmann receives Amicus Service Award for legal advocacy on behalf of Upper Arlington
- Frost Brown Todd Attorney Appointed as Vice President of Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association
- Team of Five Senior Attorneys Joins Frost Brown Todd’s Columbus Office
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Dublin Food Pantry, Board of Trustees
- Cancer Support Community, Board of Trustees
- Pickerington Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Parkview at Goodale Park Condominiums, President Board of Trustees
- Parkview at Goodale Park Condominiums, Former Board of Trustees
- Columbus Bar Association Mentoring Program, Former Mentor
- Firstlink, Inc., Former Board of Trustees
- Ronald McDonald House Charities, Former Young Professional Board
- The Wellness Community of Greater Columbus, Former Board of Trustees
- Bexley Architectural Review Board, Former Member
- Bexley Board of Zoning Appeals, Former Member
Non-FBT Publications and Events
“Liability of Municipalities and Municipal Officials,” Ohio Municipal League, Newly Elected Council Seminar, March 2014.
Moderator for the Ohio Municipal Attorney Association Winter Law Seminar, Dublin, Ohio, December 13, 2013.
"Case Law Update" Ohio Municipal Attorney Association Winter Law Seminar, Dublin, Ohio, December 13, 2013.
"Public Private Partnerships" International Municipal Lawyers Association – IMLA Annual Conference, San francisco, california, September 30, 2013.
"Social Networking: Challenges for Municipalities," Ohio Municipal League – OML Annual Conference, Columbus, Ohio, September 26, 2013.
"Social Media Issues for City Officials," The Mayor's Association of Ohio Annual Conference, Canton Ohio, June 5, 2013.
"Eminent Domain: Strategies and Tactics in Right-of-way Acquisition and Eminent Domain Litigation," Presenter, International Right of Way Association, Plain City, Ohio, October 26, 2012.
"Open Meetings and Public Records Law," OML Newly Elected Council Members Seminar, March 2012.
"Eminent Domain: Processes and Pitfalls," Co-Presenter, Ohio State Bar Association, Columbus, Ohio, March 9, 2011.
"Adoption and Amendment of Zoning Ordinance and Map," National Business Institute, Practical Guide to Zoning and Land Use Law, Cincinnati, Ohio, October 7, 2014
"Drafting Resolutions and Ordinances," Auditor of the State of Ohio, 16th Annual Local Government Officials' Conference, April 1, 2015