Alicia S. Kappers
As Director of Professional Development, Alicia S. Kappers oversees all aspects of training, mentoring and career development for the attorneys across the firm's nine-state footprint. In 2011, the firm introduced a well-defined competency model, which aligns the recruiting, evaluation, and advancement processes. Kappers uses the competencies to guide the firm's training efforts to support the development and progression of the individual careers of our attorneys. She works with Department Chairs and Practice Group Leaders to implement training to grow the practice specific skills of the attorneys and support department initiatives. Thoughtful development of our attorneys is essential to our mission of providing superior legal services. We want our associates to excel and take on new challenges quickly, and we offer all of the support necessary to do so. Additionally, Kappers sits on the Women's Initiative Steering Committee, the Diversity Committee, and the Advancement Committee.
Prior to joining the firm, Kappers held various roles in Professional Development and Talent Training and Development at an international, Am Law 20 firm in Boston, Massachusetts. With a strong background and education in organization development, coupled with professional development experience in the legal industry, Kappers is able to help attorneys develop, and thrive in their careers.
Highlights & Recognitions
- 2015 Forty Under 40 award
- 2015 FBT Diversity and Inclusion award
- Ms. Kappers was one of four recipients of the 2007 Wilmer Hale Volunteer Award. The Award recognizes members of the firm for their hard work and dedication on behalf of WilmerHale's Youth and Education Initiative (YEI). She also received the 2013 YWCA Rising Star award.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Professional Development Consortium (PDC)
Cincinnati Bar Association
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- RefugeeConnect, board member
- Immigrant and Refugee Law Center, board member and secretary
- Denison Alumni Recruiting Team volunteer
- Denison Alumni interviewer
- 2012 World Choir Games, volunteer
- Junior League of Cincinnati, member
- American Heart Association, Open Your Heart Committee
- Refugee Resettlement Project, JLC, ambassadors team leader and past co-chair
- Cincinnati Parks, Ambassador's Council, co-chair Advocacy Subcommittee
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Women's Fund Corporate Mastermind Group: The Task Force, Sample Elements in a Leadership Program, and Legal Implications