Christopher W. Rogers
Chris is a managing associate in the firm's Pittsburgh office. His diverse practice includes: upstream and midstream oil and gas litigation, transactional, due diligence, and title matters; ADA website accessibility litigation and counseling; mechanic’s lien litigation and counseling; commercial and real property litigation; and general civil litigation. Chris has counseled and advised clients, including major U.S. upstream and midstream companies, on various oil and gas related issues in Ohio and Pennsylvania, including royalty and post-production costs, lease divisibility, merger of title, well-bore interests, Pennsylvania's Act 13, the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act, pipeline right-of-way disputes, subsurface easements and mechanic’s lien requirements in Ohio. He has counseled and defended clients regarding website accessibility under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Chris has also managed time-sensitive due diligence projects across several deals that resulted in the acquisition of more than $1 Billion in oil and gas assets, as well as closings and management of these assets. He has presented on oil and gas related topics in Pennsylvania and Ohio. A life-long Pittsburgh resident, he graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pittsburgh and received his J.D. from Duquesne University School of Law.
- Upstream oil and gas litigation, title, transactions, and due diligence.
- Midstream oil and gas litigation, transactions, and due diligence.
- Ohio Dormant Mineral Act (DMA) litigation and counseling.
- Real estate, commercial, and general civil litigation.
- ADA website accessibility litigation and counseling.
- Successfully defended mineral holding company against claim that restrictive covenants in deed prohibited development of oil and gas.
- Counseled major American oil and gas producer on subsurface easement requirements for horizontal wells in Ohio.
- Successfully defended major American midstream operator against claim that former surface owner could enforce provisions of right-of-way agreement after sale of the property.
- Successfully assisted in defense of major American restaurant chain against claim that website violated Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Successfully defended major American oil and gas producer in quiet title action under Ohio Dormant Mineral Act in eastern Ohio.
- Assisted in defense of major American midstream operator against mechanic’s lien and payment dispute.
- Assisted American midstream operator in securing additional credit facility.
- Counseled major American midstream operator on Ohio mechanic’s lien law for construction projects in eastern Ohio.
- Managed and co-managed due diligence review and closings for acquisition of 25,000 acres of oil and gas assets in eastern Ohio for major U.S. exploration and production company.
- Counseled mineral investment company on purchase of nonparticipating royalty interests in eastern Ohio.
- Co-managed due diligence, closing, and asset management of fee mineral assets acquired in West Virginia.
- Managed due diligence, closing, and asset management of fee mineral assets acquired in eastern Ohio.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- Beware the Ides of March – Pa. Appellate Court Allows AG to Pursue UTPCPL Claims Against Oil and Gas Operators
- Ohio Supreme Court: Land Agents Are Real Estate Brokers
- Pennsylvania Superior Court Recognizes Claims for Hydraulic Fracturing Trespass
- Ohio Court Denies Landowners’ Claims Against Utility’s 60-Year Storage Field Use
- Ohio Supreme Court Declines to Recognize a Separate Implied Covenant to Explore Further
- The Ohio Supreme Court Affirms The 7th District Court of Appeals in Hustack v. Beck Energy Corporation (formerly Hupp v. Beck Energy Corporation)
Non-FBT Publications and Events
- Presented on oil and gas title in Pennsylvania as part of presentation entitled “Fracking - The New 'F' Word And An Overview Of Oil And Gas Law” at Erie County Bar Association (Pennsylvania) on April 7, 2016.
- Presented on “Pitfalls of Representing Multiple Clients in Energy Transactions” at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s 8th Annual Oil and Gas Law Colloquium on July 27, 2016.
- Presented on (1) “Oil and Gas Title Endorsements and Exceptions” and (2) “Quiet Title of Mineral Interests - A Practical Walk-Through” at National Business Institute’s CLE on December 8, 2016 in Akron, Ohio.
- Published written materials for “Oil and Gas Title Endorsements and Exceptions” and “Quiet Title of Mineral Interests - A Practical Walk-Through” as part of CLE presentation on December 8, 2016. Available through NBI.
- Presented on “The ADA and My Website: Risks and Requirements” at the Frost Brown Todd Annual CLE seminar in Cincinnati, Ohio, on November 10, 2016.